is there an app for moving the "buttons"???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kshott, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kshott macrumors member

kshott

anyone know of an app yet that changes the "buttons" on the iTouch to be at the edges of the screen? anything to make it easier to use without having to look at the screen.

2. JAT macrumors 603

There are hundreds of apps, all with "buttons". You may wish to specify something to get an answer. If you wish to move the apps on the home screen, simply touch any of them and hold it down til they start wiggling. Then drag them around.

If you want tactile feedback, you bought the wrong iPod.

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Not that I know of...

Is there a certain app that you are unhappy with the button placement on? If you use it a lot, you'll probably get a feel of where to press without looking.

4. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

If by buttons you meant...

Applications
    You can move the Applications on the Home screen by pressing and holding them until they start to wiggle, then they can be moved. To lock the positions in place, press the home button.

"Buttons" in Apps
    Most applications do not let you move around their buttons. However, if you go to Music/iPod, and press "more" then select "customize" you can customize the layout of the "buttons" on the bottom of the screen.

Physical Buttons on the Device
    These cannot be changed by an application from the App store, as the SDK is limited. However, if you jailbreak, there is a possibility that there is one. If you have an iPod touch though, there's only two buttons, and they do essential things, so I wouldn't mess around with them.

5. kshott thread starter macrumors member

kshott

Guess I should be more specific...

What I'm wanting is a way to rewind/previous, ff/next, play/pause when I'm listening to music without having to look at the screen and hit a single, specific, tiny spot onscreen. Seems like it would be easy to come up with an app or alter the current setup to work in a similar way to the old tactile iPods - press anywhere against the right-hand edge of the screen to skip to the next song, press anywhere against the left-hand edge of the screen to go back to the previous song, press anywhere against the bottom edge of the screen to play/pause.

I mainly listen to my iTouch in the car, and having to look at the screen while I'm driving doesn't seem like the safest thing.

6. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Sorry, there isn't a real way to do that unless you just get really good and memorize where the controls on the screen are. I'd suggest a different iPod, perhaps an iPod Nano or iPod Classic?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sounds like you might want to look into remote controls for your Touch, perhaps one that's part of a car dock set.

8. shaqzilla macrumors newbie

9. kshott thread starter macrumors member

kshott

see... that pocket touch app makes perfect sense! but I'm not jailbroken :( Maybe they'll release it as an approved app in the future.

10. henchosbandito macrumors member

maybe something to be considered by any ipod software developers reading - how about introducing a system similar to that of hot corners that are used on macs, i.e. touch the very corner pixel to skip, pause, rewind etc.

As far as i know that doesnt exist though.

Good luck finding something - if you do find a decent app let us know

11. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

Nothing like that will be released as a legit app, it would never get approved (or if it did it would be taken down directly after)

12. franzmueller macrumors regular

I bought a cheapo all in one ipod transmitter for my touch and came with a remote control ( e-bay ) and it works fine until last week when i found my " old " 5th gen ipod 60 gb which was dead and hided in a box somewhere and after reading for a ( long ) while an article how to revive it ( folding a calling card between the battery and the hard disk ) it started working again and found a steady place in my car ..... nothing can match the click wheel..... i must admit

Saludos