General Is there an app for when headphones are plugged in?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by danny_w, Feb 9, 2015.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Plugging headphones into an Android device brings up a configurable menu of apps that are appropriate for headphones, such as Pandora or Google Play Music. Is there an app available for iOS devices that will do something similar?

2. geeshiet macrumors member

That's a silly question... No offense, I mean if you want to listen to music but don't know which app to use, I suggest using pandora, iheartradio, spotify? I don't really know what else to say. Lots of websites, and apps you can listen music to...

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh, I know what you're talking about.

No, that isn't possible in iOS. An alternative would be jailbreaking and using Activator to set an app to open when you plug your headphones in.

You're obviously going to do SOMETHING when you plug headphones in - Whether it be watch a movie, play a game, listen to music, etc. So this saves you a step of having to dig for the app.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. I certainly know what I want to use to listen to music but Android makes it easy and quick by bringing up a quick select menu when it detects that headphones are plugged in; then I simply press the icon of the app that I want to use instead of having to search for the app on my phone. For example if i am in the middle of browsing and I plug in my headphones a menu of icons appropriate to the task (and user configurable) pops up, i select the icon (say Pandora), the menu goes away and i keep right on where I left off. Much simpler and quicker than stopping what I'm doing, switching screens to find the right icon, selecting it, and finally reselecting what I was doing.

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I found HeadphoneLauncher but it requires a jailbreak too.

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

What Android phone are you using that does this? My Moto X definitely doesn't. I have never seen this functionality on Android before and no Android phone I've ever owned or used has done this. It sounds like it may be an OEM or carrier-specific customization.

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

LG G2. I don't know if it is special to LG on this phone or not but I have seen Android headphone launchers (Headset Launcher and Plug In Launcher for example).