Is there an App like Installer.app for the desktop Mac?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm wondering if there's a utility for the Mac that can read those xml repository sites so that I can download iPhone apps while I'm on a normal computer. If there isn't one (which I have a feeling there isn't) someone should make one... can't be that hard to do, since mobile OS X is pretty similar to desktop OS X.

It would be a cool thing to have.

2. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is one. I don't really see the purpose of doing that, as you can just install apps right from your iPhone. IMHO, it's much easier that way.

3. RubberShoes macrumors regular

Different

all the iphone and ipod touch software and applications are running on OS X running on samsung ARM processors in the devices themselves, while ur OS X on ur computer is running on either an intel or powerpc processor.

Apps weren't written for multiple processor architectures...so no you won't be able to do that...

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

At work, I don't have wifi, and I can't install apps unless I can download them from my computer first so, would it be hard to code a Universal Binary OS X App to read those repo.xml files that installer reads? That's all I was saying. I know the architectures are different on the different devices.

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

I'm sure someone could write one, but there's not much use for it so I don't expect one will be written. The main benefit of Installer.app is that as well as downloading it, it takes care of permissions/uninstalling/etc.

So if you had an app on the Mac, all it would be doing would be informing you that a new app was available. For that, you may as well try find a site that keeps up with new releases and subscribe to their RSS feed...

6. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

i think that an app like that for mac, but not neccassarily for ipod applications would be cool. One that searchs all the shareware and freeware apps so you can find what you need. ihate looking on google for shareware to do annoying tasks. oh well one day :rolleyes:

lordjonny

7. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Doesn't iBrickr do that?

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

YES IT DOES... wow you're right... I can't believe I over looked that...

NOT! It's WINDOWS software and I specifically mentioned MAC in my post so that people would not use the word iBrickr and of course, that did not work... great.

9. Clinton9031 macrumors member

haha..zing!!