Is There An App Like This?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redAPPLE, Jun 15, 2007.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

we all have seen this before. you need an app that is not installed on your notebook and you don't have your cds/dvds with you...

or, you got one of these cd/dvd wallets, which holds a minimum of 128 cds/dvds.

is it possible to create a .dmg file of a cd/dvd and save them on a memory stick and access the files as if they were cds/dvds?

or maybe an app that does this for you?

thanks for any tips.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you can do that but the DMG is probably unnecessary. Why not just manually drag apps you don't use to the USB stick and then drag 'em back or run them from the stick when necessary. Of course, you'll have to install the apps on your machine first. You might even be able to bypass your machine though, and install them directly from the CD onto the USB stick, if you like. Meh. It's six of one or half a dozen of the other... :)

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Maybe I'm just not understanding the hypothetical situation, but if you have the program, and you're gonna need to use it, why wouldn't you just install it? Seems easier than trying to make images and carrying them around on a USB.

4. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

because i work with computers (i am the computer expert, that is the consensus in the family & friends circle), i have to have utilities and other apps when i "repair" the computers.

i thought, it would be better to have a usb stick with me, plugging the stick, and repairing the problem (if i can).

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Problem with that, is you can't (to my knowledge at least) boot off a DMG, so if it's something like Techtool or the OSX installation DVD itself, the DMG's useless to you.

And it's even more useless if the hard drive the DMG is on is hosed ;)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well with either Disk Utility or Toast you should be able to create a disk image of CDs/DVDs. then you could move 'em over to the memory stick. once you mount them they should be able to be treated like any mounted media.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Now that situation makes a lot more sense.:p

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree that you probably won't be able to do all that much repairing and troubleshooting from a USB stick since you can't boot from it. Take a retail version of OSX 'round with you, plus a third party drive repair CD and you should be right. Alternatively, buy an external Firewire drive with OSX and associated repair apps already on it.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

could probably install a stripped down version of OS X on a big enough thumb drive. probably would need an 8 GiG or so in order to have room for the other apps. and USB is bootable on all the Intel Macs. and i believe there might be a work around for the PPC macs.

but a portable drive would give you more storage for your money.

10. Mernak macrumors 6502

If you want to boot from a USB drive (only works on intel macs) but you can use DasBoot and a bootable cd that you can copy to the USB Drive.