Is there an app/method for this? (no folder thumbnails)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by murdercitydevil, Sep 3, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm sorry if there's an obvious solution to this...but AFAIK no one has done it yet. Here's what I'm looking for:

As we all know, iOS4 folders function so that they display their contents as tiny little thumbnails. You can change the folder icon, BUT, it still shows the app thumbnails on top of that. What I'd like to do is have folder icons and no thumbnails, so that you can essentially get the same result as you would using the Categories app (being able to pick your own folder icon), except without the hassle of using a now-obsolete functionality. So, in essence, let's say you have an icon of a game controller/joystick. I want that to be my icon for my "games" folder. I keep the stylish icon with no thumbnails, but when I tap it, it opens up like a regular folder.

I assume that this would involve changing the way folders function within Springboard itself (not as simple as replacing a few files here and there). Have any developers made an add-on that disables folder thumbnails, or does anyone here know how one would go about doing that? Thanks in advance!

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I don't think Categories + CategoriesSB is obsolete. I am using these on my iPhone 4 and prefer them to the built-in folder functionality.

S-

3. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Well, yeah obsolete probably wasn't the best word. I actually used Categories and it seemed fine, I just didn't like how each "folder" acted like its own app. Also the little loading time when opening was a pain. So I take it there's no way to do what I described then?

EDIT: should have read what CategoriesSB is before posting that. Maybe I'll try this combo then.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I hated Categories without CategoriesSB.....

S-

5. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Wow, I just have to comment on how fast CategoriesSB makes it...even faster than native folders, and way more functional. I think I'll stick with this. Thanks Sidewinder for the heads-up.

EDIT: Since you're my self-appointed helper with Categories, can you tell me if I'm right in assuming that swipe to close doesn't work on iOS4? Sucks having to press home button every time I want to close a folder. Also, any way to make the open folder's contents appear below the actual folder icon, instead of filling the entire screen? That way I can just tap the icon again to close it.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

murdercitydevil,

You are welcome.

Something else I like with the addition of CategoriesSB is that you can have the dock visible in the folder if you want. With the current versions of Categories and CategoriesSB, do not use the "Apply to All Categories" option. If will cause the dock to stop working inside of a Categories folder.

S-

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I must be an anomaly, I actually learned to like pressing the home button to get out of CategoriesSB folders. It's become a habit I don't even think about on both the iPad and the iPhone.

But combined with having the dock accessible even when you're in a folder, most people seem to be docking all their folders, and using that to switch from one to another. No swipe to close function yet that I've seen.

8. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

OK I must be retarded because I can't for the life of me find the option where you set a winterboard theme to handle the categories icons. I found it once and now I can't again...

Also, is this the correct way to handle the icon through a theme?

Themename/Folders/Category000.app/icon.png

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I changed the app icon this way:

/Library/Themes/test.theme/Bundles/com.bigboss.categories.Category000/icon.png

By the way, if I use 2x icon but call it "icon.png", it works just fine. I just found this out.

S-

10. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yeah I got it to work perfectly...retina-sized Suave icons. My dream is finally coming true. All I need to do now is make the actual folder background/title bar Suave'd out. Sidewinder, do you know by any chance if you can apply Iconoclasm layouts to the Categories contents (or something similar to this)? They look reaaally spread out and it looks kind of odd.

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Turn the "Hide the Dock" feature off and they icons line up just like a regular iOS 4 folder would. I know of no other way to control icon layout.

S-

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Do you have any good sources for hi-res folder icons?

S-

13. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm just using normal Suave icons. I only have 2 done so far though...one for my Apple folder, is just a suave'd retro apple logo on a white background, the other for "entertainment" is a little bear face. I dunno why I chose it, but it seemed somehow appropriate. I think I need to make the other ones my self.

About the folder icon layout - it's not hiding the dock, what I mean is that no matter how many apps are in a particular category, the actual open folder takes up the entire screen, instead of sizing to fit all of them. Also, no matter how many apps are inside, it only sizes them in a 3x3 layout, so they are reaaaally spread out on the ip4's huge res screen.

EDIT: turns out it has something to do with my iconoclasm layout. I have a 3x3 dense layout and it tries to apply that for the categories folder...but fails. I wish there was a way to specify two separate layouts, in folders I'd have something like 5x5.