Is there an app that can show whats clogging my HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GKDAIR, Jan 9, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I have like 40 gigs that I have no idea what it is, and my macbook air isn't telling me.

Is there an app on the store that can show me whats clogging up my hard drive?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Also run verify disk in disk utility so check lion isn't incorrectly reporting the disk space left

4. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

Well heres the thing.

It just says "Other" nothing else, and its taking up a good chunk of memory.

5. simsaladimbamba

Then look at the applications I linked, as you asked for them.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
    RAM vs. Hard Disk

6. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

7. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Do a search on this forum for the many threads about "Other". Lots of advice about what it might be and how you can get rid of a lot of "Other" that is taking up your HDD.

Stewart

8. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Even the trial of http://daisydiskapp.com/ will show you what it is. But in fact, these are the local Time Machine backups being done while your computer is not connected to your backup disk.

9. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

I figured it was some kind of backing up device, because it gets bigger and bigger occasionally.

I have an external hard drive, I haven't backed anything up yet. If I back stuff up with the "Other" go away?

10. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Maybe. In theory it should but you might have to delete manually if there's been some corruption. Do a backup using Time Machine. See if other reduces. Unless you keep your external HDD connected and on all the time then TM will carry on storing backups and snapshots on your HDD if it's left turned ON. Turn it off. Turn it on again when you want to do a backup.

Stewart

11. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Try daisy disk, figure out what folder is using all your space and once you have that narrowed down we can give you a better answer as to what's taking up your HD.

12. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

Well I figured out what it was.

Turns out the "other" is all of my apps in iTunes. I guess I will have to delete them all 1 by 1 so I can clear up space. Is there anyway to install apps onto my phone without installing them to my computer as well?

13. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I'm not sure because I haven't used my iPhone in like a year but I believe when you connect your iPhone it says something like " You've made new purchases on your phone, would you like to sync them with your computer" or something like that.

14. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I highly doubt that it's 40 gigs of apps - but I'm pretty sure it is local backup snapshot. This was just discussed in another forum. You can either not worry about it - because the system will free up space from local snapshot as needed, or you can turn it off in terminal.

As far as cleaning up your old unused apps - just like old paper files you have at home, you should at some point dump what you're not using. Lots of people get sloppy about files on their system and doing spring cleaning once a year can help drastically - both with your system performance and your life organization.