Is there an app that can...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Total-BallAche, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Total-BallAche macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been looking around and trying to find an app (or a way to use the iphones browser) that will allow me to view my media, the way the itunes remote does for music... for example:

Lets say i have a folder called,
    Movies:

and another one called,
    Music:

etc
    etc

Can i view the file names contained within these folders via my iphone?

I don't want to stream them to the iphone and i don't want to use the iphone as a mouse or a VNC as they don't work very well at all, i have tried.

What i would like to do, is view all my available movies, music, pictures etc and when one is selected, just like the itunes remote app, it will open up on the PC it is hosted on as normal.

Basically, using the iphone exactly as the itunes remote does but for my movies, TV series, pictures etc as well...

So far i have tried,
    Hippo Remote (does not do as i need as you must be able to see the PC)
    Pocket VNC (Does not do as i need and slowish)
    Itunes remote (perfect in every way, but only does itunes)

Just about to try orb, but it seems it streams rather than just plays on the host PC.

I just want a nice, clean way to be able to sit back on the couch, leave my mouse and keyboard aside, full screen my media player and basically select a file name by viewing file names stored in certain folders on my PC Via my iPhone, and when selected, will launch on the PC on which it is hosted...

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it,

Thanks in advance x

2. ipadking macrumors member

What you need is http://www.boxee.tv. Its a free media application that installs on your PC or MAC and provides a 10-foot interface, good for hooking up PC to the TV. It organizes all your meida. boxee has a iphone app that's a remote that'll let you start music/movies/pictures etc. It even has lots of free streaming internet shows. Best of all, its all free.