Is there an app that will do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrkramer, Jul 10, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I am looking to see if there is an app that will be able to detect when a server that I am connected to is about to go to sleep and automatically dissconect my computer from that server so that it doesn't go to sleep and crash the finder when I try to dissconect it.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Errr.... how would it know, exactly? Coz AFAIK a server doesn't send out any messages that say "I'm gonna be going to sleep in 2 minutes".

Aren't servers typically supposed to be set to never sleep?

Puzzled.

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

If there was an app that did it I would assume that it would be installed on both machines and the one on the server would be programmed to send out a message to dissconect. I'm guessing that no one has programed somthing to do this yet though.

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Servers, yes, but not home machines that happen to be sharing their files with others on the local network. This is where such a thing might be very useful.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that Mac OS X doesn't do this, now that I think about it. I can't be bothered to actually try this right now, but I thought OS X used to warn you when you were shutting down and remote file sharing users were connected. Or was that only OS 9 and below?

Regardless, iChat sets you to away/disconnected when you sleep the machine, so why can't the AFP server disconnect clients too? Either that or the client (Finder) needs to be a little smarter about handling a server that went away. Sometimes it does ok, but others it seems to hang. Hopefully Leopard improves this, at any rate.