IS there an app that will let me lock the screen with a password?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by togermano, Jul 15, 2008.

1. togermano macrumors regular

or maybe something built into OSX? I tried fast user switchnig thing it worked great but for some reason it logs me off of aim when i do it.... how annoying

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

You can set the screen saver to require a password in the System Preferences, in two steps.

(1) In Expose, set the upper-left corner (or choose another) to activate the screen saver (so when you get up to go to the bathroom, you just drag the mouse up there and it begins).
    (2) Then, in Security, activate "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver."

Done. Free!

3. pianos101 macrumors regular

Yeah the easiest is 2, and doing 1 if you want to manually activate the screen saver, kind of like "lock workstation" on windows:

[​IMG]

Also, when the computer goes to sleep (i.e., not just the screen saver and not the monitor going to sleep, but the actual HDD) you will be signed out of AIM. If i remember correctly from when i first switched to OS X this is a little different than how AIM works on windows...

4. mbouchet macrumors newbie

Keychain

The way I prefer is through Keychain. Go to your Applications folder. Under the Utilities folder you should see an app called Keychain Access. Open that and go to Keychain preferences. Activate "Show Status in Menubar" option. Now you can just click on the lock icon in your menu bar to lock your screen.

Michael