Is there an Apple TV app for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redscull, Oct 28, 2011.

1. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I have a Mac mini hooked up to the TV in my living room. There are plenty of good uses for this, but I find it odd that this $1000 device can't perform some of the functionality that the $100 Apple TV does. Is there an application that runs in OSX that basically emulates an Apple TV on my computer?

I could just buy an Apple TV. I'm not really struggling with the $100 price. The problem is that I'd then have yet another device plugging into my TV, and I passionately hate having to toggle through my TV's inputs. I want one device that does everything so I can just leave the TV set on that one input.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

They used to have frontrow, and depending on your OS you may still have it. AS of Lion frontrow has disappeared, and I don't know why. It was a great little app for watching all of your media.

A great replacement is Plex. I highly suggest downloading the Plex software (it's free) and then going through it, and setting up your media folders. Let it chug away, because it will find info, cover art, and more. YOu can use an Apple remote with it, or the arrow and enter keys on the keyboard. It will handle .iso, Video_TS folders, and any codecs you install, so make sure you have Perian installed as well.

Best,

3. redscull thread starter macrumors 6502a

redscull

My mini is 2011, so Lion, no Front Row. But more than just the media center aspect, I want AirPlay so that I can see my iPad's screen on my TV.

Maybe I don't need a whole Apple TV app. Is there an AirPlay app for OSX?

4. rtolboom macrumors member