is there an astronomy Program to like search the stars?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Mar 22, 2008.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Is there any kinda program (hopefully for free but if not thats ok) thats like an Astronomy program which is like hooked to the internet so I can get like a real time view of the night sky, and view stars and stuff in depth?

Im really not sure what im asking, but am big into astronomy, and would like to find something ;) Thanks.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. gertruded macrumors regular

Stellarium. Free.

Cartes du Ciel is to be ported to OSX but not there yet. It is almost the ideal planetarium program, and it is free.

Gertrude

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Celestia. Pretty much the best-looking thing out there and it has a repository of dozens of gigabytes of user-made addons for extrasolar systems, galaxies, fictitious material (planets, systems, spacecraft, and whatnot), etc.

5. gertruded macrumors regular

http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/

I stand corrected. Carts du Ciel is available at the above link as a beta. I just tried it and it works. It a very, very good program, better IMHO than purchased programs costing hundreds of dollars. Most astronomical data can be downloaded and displayed.

It is free. It is full featured. It is easy to learn and use. It is one of those rare programs that seem to have it all.

I am a visual observer with several scopes including a .4 meter Dobsonian type reflector and observe at least 100 nights a year. Cartes du Ciel is the program I use to plan observing sessions and to confirm sightings.

The program runs well on a 1.66 core duo Mini.

Gertrude