Is there an AT&T/Verizon side-by-side comparison?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Long story short: It is my goal to own two iPhone 4s tomorrow morning at 7am via my local Apple store without a pre-order. However, my girlfriend and I are currently on a Verizon family plan and despite me constantly explaining how the iPhone will be the best investment she will ever make (I even used to have my own iPhone at the same time as the Verizon phone), she still needs more convincing that AT&T is at least pretty similar to Verizon's service and monthly bill.

Shortened story shorter (the point): I'm looking for some type of up-to-date comparison chart/website to compare the two. I tried Google but couldn't find anything worthwhile. I have a feeling if there's anything out there, MR would know.

Edit: I just thought of something else. Incase Apple is so busy tonight that they don't want to cancel Verizon and set me up with AT&T until they "officially" open the store (10am), can I still just pay for the two phones and set them up with our old Verizon numbers and new AT&T plan at a later time? Obviously I would do this to insure I have the phones in my possession and won't need to wait until they have new stock.

2. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

att cant even compare. The network isnt nearly as big, especially in the west, and verizon just upheld unlimited data today. Their tethering option for droid is $20 for an extra 2 gb, not $20 to use the data you already have. Plus they have a phone thats all about streaming video, and not even worried about data caps. That throws up all kinds of red flags on att. Sucks they have the iphone.

3. raremage macrumors 6502a

Costs will be close to identical. Coverage will vary, in metropolitan areas the coverage will basically be comparable, each will have certain dead spots. Check AT&T's and Verizon's websites for coverage maps - both will show comparisons.

And it's not an investment. It's an expense. Investments can gain or lose value; iPhones depreciate - unless you just plan on immediately turning it around on eBay.

4. outphase macrumors 65816

Doesn't billshrink.com have a price comparison system?

5. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

It DOES suck that they have the iPhone. I'd rather stick with Verizon myself. But I'm sick of my Samsung u740 and her phone is a broken piece of crap. We've both been due for upgrades since October, but there is honestly no other phone I want (Droid included) than the iPhone. For me it's my u740 (I love this phone as a "normal" texting/calling phone) or the iPhone. And it's time I finally move on from your standard flip-phone. So AT&T it is. I really just need to show her it won't be THAT bad of a monthly bill increase.

6. mangohippo macrumors member

How is the iPhone an investment? Something that loses value the more you own it is hardly an investment.

7. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

How is that relevant to the point of the thread? Okay, I used the wrong word to express my point.

Thanks for the help in the other posts though. I'll check out that website.

8. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

yeah i want the iphone pretty bad too. Im thinking of getting on verizon to have unlimited data, cause i am almost positive they will announce a verizon iphone in september. get it on a better, bigger network that i have had 0 problems on.

9. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

New question: Does anyone know if I can put a hold on my Verizon line (I know you can do that much) and still transfer my number to my own AT&T plan? I'm asking because this is probably what I would do if she's not going to come to AT&T with me.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    If she doesn't come over with you, then your monthly costs will rise.

At the least, you no longer have the benefit of a second family line for $10.

You also lose the free in-network calling when you're not on the same carrier.

Has she indicated why she doesn't want to move? Also, some people just don't care about smartphones. At all. Has she had the chance to try one?

11. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

She is tough to break right now. She even called AT&T to ask her own questions and all they did was confirm the exact same things I told her, the Apple site told her, and a brochure I got from the Apple store showed.

She has no interest in the iPhone or any smartphone. But I KNOW she will love the iPhone once she really gets used to it. She thinks she doesn't need all the iPhone (any smartphone) has to offer. She only cares about phone calls right now...

12. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

How is it NOT!? Resale value of iPhones allow people to buy an upgraded iPhone a year later essentially for free. I've yet to see any phone be able to do that. Try selling an EVO a year from now and see if you'll get $50.