Is there an AUTO brightness setting in the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by striders, May 17, 2015.

1. striders macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2009
    The watch brightness is set to the maximum setting, which works ok in an office environment with lost of light. However,nIn a dim or even dark room, it's too bright for me.

Is there an auto brightness settings for the watch, much like the iPhone?
  2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2009
    Nope. No light sensor :-(
  3. pmau macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2010
    There is a light sensor. Look at Apple's Website under "Features".
    You can cover the watch to switch it off for example.

My theory. The light sensor only measures "light" / "no light" and is a very small photo diode to preserve battery. It is probably not sensitive enough to adjust the brightness in a meaningful way.
  4. dilap macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2014
    London, UK
    From the iFixit Teardown. It states that there is an ambient light sensor behind the screen.

Attached Files:

5. Sh4wN, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015

Sh4wN macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2012
    The Watch has an ambient light sensor and adjusts the brightness accordingly. The brightness setting on the watch is more like a minimum setting, it's not a fixed brightness.
  6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

May 18, 2009
    I definitely notice the watch adjusting the screen brightness on its own depending on ambient lighting.
  7. cambookpro macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Within the three brightness settings, the Watch adjusts up and down automatically according to the ambient light. Think of the three brightness notches in Settings as three different brightness ranges.

I don't think there's an option for the Watch to entirely control screen brightness.
  8. melman101 macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2009
  9. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2015
    I hope they bring that to other iOS devices :)
  10. Sh4wN macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2012
    It already is. You can set minimum, maximum and basically a middle value.
  11. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2009
    With my iPhone, when I am outside, I turned the screen brightness to Max. When I go indoor, it automatically reduce the brightness.

Are you guys saying this is how to also works with the Apple Watch? I am not seeing it doing so, though.
  12. Sh4wN macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2012
    It adjusts, yes. It may be a little more subtle or you are simply not noticing. You can try yourself, if you activate it someplace dark, shine a bright light at it and then look at it again where it's dark. Should be brighter then.