Is there an easy way to change an App's menubar icon?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jamie0003, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I ask this because I have a number of apps that are in black to match in my menubar, but Skype sticks out like a sore thumb. Is there any way to change the icon to look black and white like normal apps do, or is it not possible?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

With any other app, yes. It is as easy as right-clicking the app>Show package contents>Contents>Resources and dropping the new icon in there. With skype, this used to work on older builds of Skype 2.8. But with the new versions, Skype does an integrity check. If anything is modified, it won't work. There are a bunch of threads on Skype's forums trying to get the devs to give us the option between a color/monochrome menubar icon. No one is listening, so it's impossible for now. You can use other instant messengers like Adium that have Skype API. Problem is you need Skype opened, Adium opened and the menubar icon turned off in Skype. It's too much work for an aesthetic issue.

There is also something called SkypeMenuX. I've never tried it, but it looks like it might change the icon for you. Again, it's too much work for something minor. Do what I did and voice your opinion about a monochrome icon on Skype's forums.

3. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That really sucks, I love how in Lion Apple have made everything match by making it greyish, but Skype just ruins it. Oh well, hope they get growl working with it again soon as well!

4. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Lion didn't do this. The menu bar icons have always been black/grey, unless a third party app choose to use color, like Skype.

The only thing lion did was remove color from Finder side bar, which in my opinion, makes it harder to find what your looking for at first glance.

5. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I mean things such as the sidebar in the finder changing to grey