Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Hello! I'm wondering if there is any way to make an image of a page (w/text and pics) look like a piece of falling fabric. I'm working on something that will show a new page being revealed, so I need to see both pages and I thought it would be cool if it looked like the old page was a curtain being dropped to reveal the new one. I'm just not sure how to make the image appear wavy without doing a bunch of gradients (which I think would look cheesy.)

The biggest problem is that at work the newest version of Photoshop they have is 7. I saw a thing about the warp tool in CS2, would that create the effect I'm looking for? If so, I guess I can always download the demo.

Sorry if this was confusing! Any help will be much appreciated! :)

ArchiMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Perhaps...

You might be able to create a displacement map that would re-create the nuances of a curtain 'crinkling'. Sorry, 3am in Australia, and can't remeber if Black is near, White far, or whatever, sheeesh. However, this is your key: repeat to self: "must ask someone about displacment maps".

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
he's talking about using a 3d program for this.
here's about how you'd do it in lightwave:
make a box the size of your paper and like 0 units tall but make it like 50 segments wide and 50 segments long then triple it. then texture it with the design you made in photoshop. take it into layout and apply a displacement map that you will make in photoshop, where white=the high point and black=the low point (you could do this with a white>>black gradient but it works better if you have a tablet and can brush on). then do all the lighting you want, etc. then render it.
those are of course oversimplified instructions, and idk if it works teh same in other 3d programs.

edit: wait, are we talking about something moving? that'd be more complex--you'd need to use the motion designer, etc. here's a good tutorial about making a curtain using the motion designer, which should help you: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/curtain/index.html

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Maya will do a great job with that too. :)

I would not do it with displacement maps in 3D. Better to create a NURBS plane then make it a soft body and add gravity. The Cloth program in Maya Unlimited would do this even better but I'm sure the poster does not want to shell out $7000 for it. :rolleyes:

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
homerjward said:
he's talking about using a 3d program for this.

PS will do displacements but not as well as a 3D program.

Filter/Distort/Displace, you will need to load a map. Sorry, I don't have time today to go over it.

Also try playing with the Liquify filter.

daustin

macrumors member
Original poster
wha....???

:confused:

Thanks for all the ideas! I don't know too much about 3D programs so some of it is a little over my head....umm...most of it actually! I think I get the idea though and it sounds like I probably won't be able to do what I'm envisioning with PS...

If I do figure something out I will post the results!

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
daustin said:
:confused:

Thanks for all the ideas! I don't know too much about 3D programs so some of it is a little over my head....umm...most of it actually! I think I get the idea though and it sounds like I probably won't be able to do what I'm envisioning with PS...

If I do figure something out I will post the results!

The Liquify filter is in PS 7, Filter/Liquify. One tip, use a big brush and make single strokes to distort. Going back over it again and again will make it soft. If you don't like it the first time, start over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.