Is there an easy way to transfer files between Bootcamp and Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Suno, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I don't know what I did when I installed bootcamp but currently I can't move things from Windows to Mac. the only way I can now is to turn off the computer, boot into mac, move the file, turn off the computer, and boot back into windows.

It's very tedious, as anyone can imagine.

I'm willing to do a fresh install of bootcamp from the ground up if there's some way I can make things easier to transfer between the two OS.

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I suppose.....

you can format an external drive in NTFS or exFAT format and read it on the Mac OS enviroment with a paid or free filesystem mounter.....:confused:

:):apple:

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

I run Bootcamp in Parallels. From the running Bootcamp Windows install I can drop files to my Mac OS disk.

4. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Wait a minute. Not to pick at your choice of doing things, but I'm confused. You're running parallels, you created a guest virtual machine based on os x, you then configured bootcamp and partitioned your virtual hard drive so that you could run windows. Is that it? If so, why not just skip the extra os X and bootcamp and just directly create a virtual windows machine under parallels?

5. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Not in that order. I created the W7/Bootcamp first. Then I pointed Parallels at the Bootcamp partition which it runs as it it was a VM. Gives me the choice to run W7 natively via Bootcamp or casually via Parallels.

6. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

So whatever you do in bootcamp would occur in Parallels and the reverse is true as well because they're both reading from the same partition?

Interesting, I didn't know you could even do that. That would actually solve my storage problem since I have a separate VMware on my Mac partition which is independent of bootcamp.

Do you have a guide that I could follow so I can get this running on my laptop as well?

7. AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos