Is there an email client that...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zblaxberg, Jan 1, 2008.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Is there an email client that can handle my hotmail, yahoo and university (imap client) emails? Because os x leopard mail doesn't seem to be able to work once I configure my imap account. Here is a link to the configuration for the imap JMU Email

There will always be an error when I try to login and it can't retrieve my email. Someone help...I'm very leopard literate but I know nothing when it comes to setting up email accounts in Mail.

The specific error is: Trying to log into the IMAP server "imap.jmu.edu" failed. Make sure the user name and password are correct. The thing is they are correct...

I tried this freepops thing but it didn't work.

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

The most common source of that kind of problem with IMAP accounts is forgetting to enable SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), but the configuration guide you linked makes a point of showing you how to do that, so I'm guessing something else is going on here.

Have you tried setting up your account in another app like Thunderbird?

3. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

sounds like a good idea, will try...

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

IIRC, your yahoo account won't work with any mail client (if it's the free version).

Otherwise, the others should work.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could always use a POP3 gateway like FreePOPs http://www.freepops.org/en/ for the unsopported webmail.

EDIT: Except you say you tried it, what didn't work? (It's been a while since I used it since moving everything to gmail.)

B

6. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Ok so what I did was forwarded my webmail to hotmail and i'm a little sick right now so I can't remember the name of the thing I used but I used some little program to get hotmail to work in os x mail.