Is There an Emergency Restore Option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChocolateApple, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I ordered an iPhone 4 for my mom. I told her to have one of the (iPhone 3G/S owning) relatives to back up her iPhone 3G. Just back it up.

INSTEAD of simply backing it up, our relative did something, I don't know what, but called me to ask why nothing restored but 4 songs. All of her data is gone!

I don't know what was done or why. I am in a different state, and they did the opposite of what I instructed.

Is there ANY way to restore backed up data IF it was indeed backed up through iTunes? They're using a Windows computer. Is it somewhere in a system directory? Can Apple tech support help?

I'm livid right now because I assured my mom that all would be fine if she did what I told her to do. :mad:

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, if it's restored, then after you restore it, it should ask you if you want to restore from a backup, or go to a New Backup.

Just choose restore from a backup.

3. ChocolateApple thread starter macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

Thanks for responding so swiftly.

He's saying that he backed it up, but that only 4 songs restored. Apple tech support blamed it on an iPhone 4.0 software bug.

He backed up two other phones (he and his wife's) just fine, but on his home iTunes. He claims he was directed to back them up on a disc. I've never heard of that, but I don't have Windows.

When he followed the same technique with my mom's, it didn't restore.

I assume that a restore MAY work from the iTunes on HER computer. I backed up her phone on her own computer several months ago.

He's going to try that tomorrow.

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

her music wont be on there unless thats the computer you usually sync your iphone on.

5. chrisu91 macrumors regular

+1. They didn't follow the process you told them.