Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Hi Guys,

So I'll most likely be getting a iPod Touch 4G today, but was wondering apart from tax will I be charged environmental fees?

If that is the case, anyone know how much? Just trying to figure out if I'll have enough money..

Appreciate the help..

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
It depends on where you buy it.

For example, in several provinces in Canada, the governments compel manufacturers to pay into a fund that covers the cost of recycling most consumer electronics at the end of their useful lives. The fees are in levied advance, on a per-unit basis, at the time the equipment is first sold to a consumer. The manufacturers often pass these fees directly on to the consumers.

A typical environmental fee in Canada for a portable MP3 player would be about $0.40 per device - but different jurisdictions would have different fees.

Several US states also require manufacturers to pay into their statewide electronics recycling programs. But often the formula for determining how much money each manufacturer needs to pay into the program is determined after the fact, based upon their proportional share of the gross tonnage of all materials recycled. These fees are not easily converted into a pre-sale charge, so such expenses are usually hidden away from the consumer's view. [edit]Instead of charging the customers right away, the manufacturers would evaluate how much they spent on recycling programs last year, and inflate next year's base prices to make up the losses.[/edit]

Last edited:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have a bit of a dumb questions but why in the US do you not have tax included when you're looking at what you want to buy?

Its probably really obvious answer :eek:

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I have a bit of a dumb questions but why in the US do you not have tax included when you're looking at what you want to buy?

Its probably really obvious answer :eek:

Generally speaking, retailers want it to be painfully obvious to the customer exactly how much money the store is getting from the purchase, and exactly how much of it is going to the government.

By listing the taxes as a separate line item, the customer gets the message loud and clear.

On the other hand, some stores prefer to simplify their pricing structure by posting the after-tax amount. They are very rare, and when they do exist, most often they actually post both the pre- and post-tax price.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Generally speaking, retailers want it to be painfully obvious to the customer exactly how much money the store is getting from the purchase, and exactly how much of it is going to the government.

By listing the taxes as a separate line item, the customer gets the message loud and clear.

On the other hand, some stores prefer to simplify their pricing structure by posting the after-tax amount. They are very rare, and when they do exist, most often they actually post both the pre- and post-tax price.

It also makes it easier to market a product nationwide. Since every state, county, and city has its own tax code.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
It depends on where you buy it.

For example, in several provinces in Canada, the governments compel manufacturers to pay into a fund that covers the cost of recycling most consumer electronics at the end of their useful lives. The fees are in levied advance, on a per-unit basis, at the time the equipment is first sold to a consumer. The manufacturers often pass these fees directly on to the consumers.

A typical environmental fee in Canada for a portable MP3 player would be about $0.40 per device - but different jurisdictions would have different fees.

Several US states also require manufacturers to pay into their statewide electronics recycling programs. But often the formula for determining how much money each manufacturer needs to pay into the program is determined after the fact, based upon their proportional share of the gross tonnage of all materials recycled. These fees are not easily converted into a pre-sale charge, so such expenses are usually hidden away from the consumer's view. [edit]Instead of charging the customers right away, the manufacturers would evaluate how much they spent on recycling programs last year, and inflate next year's base prices to make up the losses.[/edit]

The eco fee is starting to really be just another tax.:rolleyes: I got charged $2.50 eco fee on a gallon of latex paint. (Frankly these fees need to be disclosed before checking out!) I always rinse out the can after I'm done and put it in the blue box. Now they charge a eco fee. There is no special handling of the can because it isn't oil based.:eek: Home Depot has now discontinued oil based paint and have latex paint replacements.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for an environmental initiaves. Just don't charge a fee of an item that doesn't need to go to a special depot and can go in the mainstream blue box. Things that need to go to a special depot are things like tv's, computers etc.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

It also makes it easier to market a product nationwide. Since every state, county, and city has its own tax code.

ahh ok. thanks, guys :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.