Is there an equivalent to Base (Menial) as an iPad app?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by manu chao, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Huh? Is this the name of an iPhone app on the app store?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

The OPs post was clear as mud.

4. manu chao thread starter macrumors 603

I pretty much assumed that those would know about an iPad app that could edit locally stored sqlite database files would also know the Mac application Base by Menial since it is one of the best applications to edit local sqlite database files on the Mac.

Would a subject line that asked "Is there an equivalent to Lightroom (Adobe) as an iPad app?" be not crystal clear?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How would you get the sqlite db files into the app so that they're local?

6. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

The tech universe is really big. Nobody can know everything about everything. It pays to provide some context so your readers understand what you are talking about. I haven't used Base 2, and never heard of it.

----------

What I've done is to put the files into the app bundle, then write init code that checks to see if the sql file exists. If it doesn't, I copy it from the bundle to documents. I then fall into code that opens it.

(I did this for a Core Data app that used SQL as it's backing store. I assume the same technique would work for "regular" SQLite.)

7. TheWatchfulOne, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

A quick search of the App Store for "sqlite" revealed 33 apps. I'll list the first 6 here:

Pocket Data - SQLite Database System FREE
    Since it was free, I installed it so I could have a look. Good thing it was free.

SQLite+ FREE
    The strength of this app is how it lets you browse the documentation. And its icon. I haven't tried the actual interaction with the database yet.

SQLite Editor $14.99
    I'm not getting this for that price. Looks nice from the screenshots though. Reviewers say its buggy. Sounds like an app with an Adobe style price and Adobe style quality to go with it. ;)

SQLite Database Console FREE
    Similar to SQLite+. The console part lets you store frequently used SQL statements and rerun them at any time. It lets you transfer databases to your device over WiFi.

The following 2 apps appear to be more graphical than the previous ones. I just got them myself as I'm interested in comparing them.

SQLite-Browser
    This one claims to have just added an iPad UI, so this could be close to what the OP was looking for. I doesn't look like it's as nice as Base.

SQLed - SQL Database Manager
    This one looks like the nicest one with the most features. It supports file transfer via email, iTunes, and Dropbox. It also claims iPad support which I take to mean it's a universal app. The description doesn't specifically say that though. Looking forward to playing with this one.

And all this coming from somebody who used Base quite a bit but has since switched to Navicat Essentials For SQLite. Base is none-the-less a very nice app and it's clear to me why any developer would want a SQLite editor of similiar quality on their iPad or iPhone.

manu chao, if you try some of these, please return and let us know if you liked any of them.

---------------------------------------------------------

I can see where deja's question can be taken one of two ways:

1. How would you get the sqlite db files into the [sqlite editor] app so that they're local?
    2. How would you get the sqlite db files into the [app that the database is intended for] app so that they're local?

For #1, I imagine all the above apps I listed let you transfer files using one or more of the following methods: email, iTunes, Dropbox, WiFi sync. In my own app that uses SQLite I have enabled iTunes file transfer so I can switch out the database seperately from rebuilding my app as the need arises.

For #2, that's exactly how I do it.

8. manu chao thread starter macrumors 603

How do you get any files into any app? Either via iTunes in the Apps tab under File Sharing, or via independent WiFi sync with a companion app on the Mac (eg, Papers for Mac and Papers for iOS), via a proprietary cloud synching (eg, Simplenote) or by using any of the common tools to 'download' files from the cloud (directly from a webpage, from Dropbox, etc.).

9. manu chao thread starter macrumors 603

You seem to have more luck, when I searched, I only found apps that allow you to access a hosted sqlite database (on a remote or local server). But I only looked at about nine or so before giving up (and half were found via Google and not via iTunes).

Not quite what I need, it seems to create sqlite databases only for the purpose of building a simple app on top of the database.

This seems to fit my requirements.

"Compatible with iOS 3.2-4.2", last updated in 2011. Enough said.

Not sure if this really allows the import of externally created sqlite databases or only the ones created with this particular app.

I got both (at this price, I don't care too much).

Thanks for being a better searcher and posting the results here. I'll come back to this thread once I played more with these apps.