Is there an iphone 4 TPU bumper? And protecting home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RebeccaL, Jan 1, 2011.

1. RebeccaL, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Hi guys and happy new year! New member here with some questions.

TPU transparent bumpers:

1. I would like to know if there is a clear/tinted TPU bumper style case for the iPhone 4 that is compatible with screen flilms like the PS crystal.

I have seen the hybrid clear bumpers like the Hula and Reveal edge but with the hard plastic I think they could cause scratches like the offical apple bumper.

I was thinking about the Agent18 shockband (no reviews and possible incompatible with shields) and iWrap (no info on this one, only one promotional video where the bumper looks loose on the sides.)

Thanks for your imput.

2. home button protection:

Also another question: Is there a static cling film that also includes home button protection? All the ones I have read about that include protection for the home button are wet ones. I was considering using a round piece of clear tape. Also for you experienced in dry films, which ones have a separate hole for the flash and camera? All iv'e seen have just one large hole.

Thanks.

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

You could try this, although it isn't transparent, it looks really nice.

3. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks.

And about the hula. Is the clear part hard plastic like acrylic or softer like TPU?

I wonder if it causes scratches like the original Apple Bumpers. Any experience there?

4. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

they aren't scracthes its little dust/dirt particles that get in between the case and act like fine sandpaper and polish the stainless steel band = a shiny spot

ANY CASE is capable of doing this

You are better off leaving it naked/applying an antenna shield if you are so worried about tiny marks on your phone

5. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

There are many reports of the official bumper causing scratches on specific spots where the hard plastic touches the phone, it is not just dirt.

Here are some thread and news on the issue:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20014464-233.html
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=985869
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUh-BzCbk0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2509426&tstart=0

That's why I am asking about the material for the Hula.

6. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

If your main concern is scratching and not drops, you really are better off with a full body skin like a Zagg Invisibleshield or Wrapsol Ultra. Skins are the best for scratches, just don't drop your phone.

7. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks for the replys. I use static cling protectors for the glass and plan to get luckylabs decals for the sides.

As for the case I'm considering the Hula but would prefeer something completely clear. Also I still don't know if the hula plastic is. Tpu or hard plastic.

I don't like the wet films. Is there something to protect the home button that is dry apply?

8. calvy macrumors 65816

I would argue that if you are only concerned about scratches, go naked and keep the phone in a pocket with nothing else in it, and baby it.

ZAGG and similar skins suck. I hate the rubbery feeling.

I haven't found a screen protector that I felt like didn't degrade the screen quality (yes, I tried SGP and Power Support, as well as several free with case protectors). If you don't mind them though, you might want to put one on the front and back.

9. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I already use switcheasy front and back protectors. What I need is protection for the home button. Also would like to know how hard is the Hula or if there is clear TPU alternative.

10. JASApplications macrumors 65816

11. RebeccaL, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Wrapsol does not provide protection for the home button.
    What I asked about in this thread is a solution to protect the home button.

12. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

The only thing(s) that protect the home button is either ZAGG front shields (which suck IMO) or the Switcheasy Colors (not a bumper but an actual case). There isn't much else out there that will cover/protect the home button. There is also the Otterbox cases but I think those are going to be a bit bulky for ya.

13. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

14. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks guys for the replys.

Seems that the only comercial solutions are the zagg (I totaly dislike them) or a case (Not what I want :().

Has anyone tried putting on clear tape or one of those cheap DIY camera protection films sold at Walmart?

I am wondering if the Home button is really as scratch prone as I have been told...

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I don't think it's scratch prone. A fingerprint magnet? Yes (for obvious reasons). Sometimes gunk builds up around the edges of the button but I think it's pretty scratch resistant. You should be fine.

And the DIY camera protectors are pretty rigid (compared to a normal screen protector) Since the home button is slightly concave, it won't adhere properly and will eventually fall off.

16. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i have read people mention that...but i havent noticed any scratches on any of the three iphones ive owned (2g,3gs,4). And i am very careful and always look for cases that maximize protection and offer port covers. I think youll be fine as long as youre careful with it.

17. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks guys.

I am a bit OCD with my electronics :D.

By the way has anyone of you used the Hula bumper? I still would like to know if the clear plastic is of the rigid variety or of the more softer one. On the side they say it is made of TPR.

18. ctbear macrumors 6502a

If your only concern is scratches (like me), I would suggest using full body protector. Just stay away from InvisibleShield or other similar orange-peel type shields.

My current set up is a Powersupport anti-glare front shield, with SGP Ultra matte on the back and side. It is my no-fingerprint set up and it just looks fantastic in my opinion. It also provides a commando feeling with a basic solution to antennagate.

[​IMG]

19. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks. I already use a very similar combo: switcheasy front/back protectors and lucky labs stickers for the sides. I just wanted to add home button protection and a slim bumper to make the phone grippier.

I dislike the wet shields too!

20. ctbear macrumors 6502a

The SGP ultra matte comes with a home button sticker/shield.

21. genetic macrumors 6502

is there any way to just get the matte back and sides without a front screen protector? the matte looks awesome