Is there an iPhone charger to use on flights?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by julianna1973, Feb 4, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I want to pass the time playing games & watching my tv series etc on my iphone but i know the battery will not last!:(

2. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

An external battery pack will do. I have one from Proporta, it does the trick.

-JB

3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

only if you sit in business or first class are there outlets(most airlines). But I think you need to have an adapter.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

5. DigMe macrumors 6502

6. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

those power ports are designed for laptops, plus they only maintain the device's charge, not actually charge it.

7. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I use my RichardSolo. It's great. I especially like the LED light and laser pointer, comes in handy.

8. Love macrumors 68000

Love

If you're flying on an XM Air Canada flight, every seatback has a full 120V circuit - enough to charge a laptop or iPhone.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

9. Macisgr8 macrumors member

I use incase external it tripplesm y battery life and protects my phone.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Which means you could charge your iPhone via USB on the computer. :)

12. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I have a similar portable, rechargable battery that I bought at Radio Shack. These things are awesome! They contain several charges for a variety of devices. They have a host of different connectors that make the battery a swiss army charging device!

Mine is exactly the same. It can be charged using USB. So that opens up the endless possibilities. iPhone, iPod, cell phone, PDA, Gameboy, PSP, GPS, etc. etc. Seriously, if you travel anywhere, don't go without one of these. They really help out. And having them be USB enables you to charge via a wall charger with a USB input, or thru any computer.

Sweet device to have. I think mine cost $50.

13. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

You should make it as long as your flight is shorter than 7 hours. If not, go external battery pack.

14. toxikos macrumors member

15. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Depends on your airline, as the power varies somewhat, unfortunately. I usually fly AA, and they have DC power in many seats that will take the Hummingbird car adapter that provides two USB power connections. Got it at Fry's for about $10. Also works in the car, and together with the Music Power Duet (AC connection with 2 USB power out slots) pretty much eliminated my need to carry any other powier supplies for my Blackberry and iPhone. Also helps power some external disk drives without adding to my laptop battery draining...

But the other commenter was correct that not all seats have power. You need to call the airline to insure that they put you in one of those, and then be prepared for it to not happen when they change equipment (sigh).