Is there an mp3 player that will readily work with Macs besides the iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimijazz, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jimijazz macrumors member

I got an iPod with my MBP, and I didn't like using it so I sold it. Now I'm wondering what my other options are. I'm reading an article about this software that allows Creative Nomad players to interact with Mac OS X Panther and Tiger, but it seems to have been written a while ago, and I don't know if the new Creative players would be supported by this software. Anyone able to shed some light? Thanks!

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

All mp3 Players Work With Macs

All mp3 players work with Mac. You just have to drag mp3 encoded songs into their holding folder. What didn't you like about the iPod? You can manually load them you know?

3. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

If your not keen on the ipod, yes all will work with osx, by drag and drop. sony's new walkman mp3 is nice (couldn't find this model on us site but meh), albeit a blatant ripoff of many ipod features/layout IMHO

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup and it is right here. Toshiba Gigabeat. It is actually not bad because it doesn't use proprietary software.

5. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of UMS players out there.

Some nice ones:

iAudio/Cowon D2
    iAudio/Cowon 7
    iRiver T60
    iRiver Clix 2
    Samsung YP-Z5

Or if you want something bigger:
    iAudio A2

All of them will work just like any removeable storage would.

I even think there is a plugin for iTunes which makes it sync with UMS-players, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I hate the iTunes integration (atleast as long as I don't have a mac ;D) so I don't care.

D2 is nice because it has quite much flash space, lots of power output, plays lots of formats, lots of batterytime and if 4GB isn't enough for you it takes SD-cards ... But it uses a touchscreen which looks cool but doesn't work good if you are running or so..

So therefor I gave you a few options =P

Since Creative and Sony uses weird apps to link just like the iPod I would ignore them, thought both makes very nice music players if it wasn't for the software.

6. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Pretty much anything with UMS/MSC support will work with any computer mac, pc or linux seeing as they work like a removable HD.

7. jimijazz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help, guys. My Creative Zen Nomad Xtra 40GB doesn't link in, but that probably has something to do with its age.

If I could find a MicroPhoto, would that work?

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

A Sony Ericsson phone with Dreamsicle makes transferring music easy enough.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Archos makes a fine Media PLayer....it big, and price but impressive never the less.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Walkmans are OK as long as you stick to MP3. Anything else requires SonicStage or Connect which only runs on Windows.