Is there an "order of operations" for iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hsuthard, Jun 16, 2011.

1. hsuthard macrumors newbie

hsuthard

I seem to waste so much time whenever I update my devices in iTunes. I'm wondering if there's a required or preferred order for the various steps I do each time I sync my iPhone/iTouch/iPad to iTunes on my iMac.

So, say I haven't synced for a while, and these are the things I need to do:

Update iPhone software
    Transfer new apps from phone to iTunes
    Update apps on iTunes
    Add/Delete songs/movies/books/TV shows/photos
    Re-arrange apps
    Add/delete apps
    Backup and sync

Is there an order you'd put these steps in to save me some time and frustration? Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It automatically does most of those steps for you. Definitely make backup your first step. Then I'd go ahead and do the upgrade, then the sync of everything else. You can go ahead and do the updates to your apps in iTunes first if you want, will save you an extra sync after that finishes (though I usually update from my iPod, saves me downloading updates for apps I don't have installed on my iPod anymore).

jW

3. hsuthard thread starter macrumors newbie

hsuthard

How do I do a backup without a full sync?

I think iTunes automatically does a backup and full sync as part of the software update, right?

And then if I go and manage my content, it will require yet a third full sync. Today it took almost two hours to sync and update my phone. It's gotten so that I only sync my phone every few months as it just takes way too long.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

iTunes doesn't automatically do a full backup every time, just some of the essentials. To do a full backup, right-click the iPhone's listing in the iTunes sidebar and choose Backup.

jW

5. hsuthard thread starter macrumors newbie

hsuthard

Thank you! I can't believe I didn't know that before now!