Is there an OS X file manager that does panes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bob Coxner, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'm coming from many years in the Windows world. I've been using a file manager called Xplorer2. http://zabkat.com/ One of the most important features for my needs is that it can do dual pane views. I can have different folders in each pane, making it super easy to compare or copy/move files between specific folders. I'd like to find an OS X file manager that can do that plus is as easy to use as Xplorer2. Or, can Finder already do this and I just don't know how to do it?

Here's what the dual panes look like

xplorer2.jpg

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Try the Total Finder add-on by BinaryAge, it adds tabs and split views in Finder.

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Path Finder is the best File Manager for OS X. You won't regret it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My only concern with Total Finder is stability of Finder/OSX because it "hacks" into the system resources to give you the tabs. I'm not too keen on a third party product making changes to delivered resources.

5. wpotere Guest

Been running it myself for a good while now and it has been rock stable. They are also quick to patch when there is an issue. I would recommend them.

6. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked at Path Finder but $40 seems a bit much for a file manager.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument there but I found it so useful that I ended up spending the $$. The ability to cut/paste files alone made it worth while for me :)

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Path Finder is for power users that want more than what the Finder can offer.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Cut & Paste was added to Lion. Copy a file/folder then hold Option when pasting to "Move Item Here" (Cmd+Option+V). It doesn't have the deleting function that Windows does but that is what the delete button is for. ;)

10. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Forklift does dual panes. It was originally primarily an FTP application, but they've been focusing on expanding it as a general file manager recently. Personally I still prefer Path Finder, but it's worth checking out as a simple alternative.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Is there still no way to make Path Finder the default file manager over Finder? That was my issue with it.

13. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

I don't believe so, as Path Finder can't currently entirely replace the Finder because it can cause some issues as described here http://www.cocoatech.com/faqs#3. Setting it as the default file viewer does help, but a Finder window still annoyingly pops up when mounting a network drive for example.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, I understand it isn't Cocoatech's fault but it's still annoying. I didn't know if they had come up with a workaround. Thanks for the response!