Is there an OS X Mail Client with the Cached Exchange feature?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cassini007, Jan 27, 2015.

1. cassini007 macrumors member

Cached Exchange Mode is basically the option to locally store only the past week, month, etc. of messages and attachments. Outlook for Windows has had this feature since Office 2007.

Outlook for Mac 15.6, released last week, still lacks this feature. And I know of no other Exchange-capable email client for OS X that has this capability. Oddly enough, Apple's iOS mail client is capable of doing what OS X mail couldn't.

If anyone knows of an OS X mail client with this feature, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Doesn't Outlook 2011 have it? Just with no ability to turn it off?

I should say it's been nearly 3 years since I used it last, so memory might be failing me.

3. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm ... I thought it was the opposite. I recall using Outlook 2011 without finding Cached Exchange - just an option to download headers only (which is the same in the current version of Outlook for Mac).

4. zaphon macrumors regular

zaphon

VMWare + Windows + Outlook is the only way I know of sadly. And unless you have 40GB+ of mail, it's less disk space to just let Outlook/Apple Mail to download (cache) all your mail.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I set up an active Exchange email account on Outlook for Windows cached and the space savings were negligible. What percent savings in the Outlook file do you see when you do it that way?

6. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure of the exact percentage. But my entire mailbox has over 35 GB of messages over the span of several years. So having the option of retrieving only the most recent is essential, will probably save +95% of the space that would be otherwise taken up.

----------

I think they might be referring to something else.