Is there an underlying problem with my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ellenyrox, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ellenyrox, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

ellenyrox macrumors newbie

ellenyrox

I have a late 2008 white MacBook. I've never had any problems with it until recently, and I really can't afford to replace it or do any major repairs! Basically it all started after my charger got a loose connection which I doubt is connected at all but everything started after that.
    After every time I opened preview it would work for a few minutes and if I tried to save or print it would crash and I had a few kernel panics caused by that. So I repaired my disc as it said it was corrupt and permissions by booting in safe mode cause it kept getting stuck at 15% normally. Preview seems okay now but I haven't used it only to quickly look at images no saving or printing etc.
    A few weeks ago, I didn't go on it for a few days, (I had run the battery into reserve when I last used it and didn't charge it) and battery wouldn't charge and still won't so I'm assuming its dead. It is 4 years old, had 1100 cycles, but it was at 64% health so a bit odd. I tried a that firmware update but have snow leopard so it wouldn't let me. Tried every kind of reset under the sun so please don't ask me to do any of those!
    Now, I think the fan is broken. I had it on for a few hours then realised it was silent and it's usually audible and quite loud when in heavy use, and nothing tonight, so I turned it off as I was scared. The CPU was at 50 something Celsius, and hd at 39. It said fan speed was 1200 but I couldn't hear or feel it.
    I'm worried that its to do with the logic board, or is it just coincidence? Also I forgot to say on startup the sleep light blinks about 5 times (there is no beeping) before the disc drive makes its noise and it turns on. I have tried my brothers charger by the way and everything's still the same. There are no display problems and it always starts up as long as its obviously plugged in now. can i rule out logic board? im going to book an appointment at my apple store for the weekend i just want to make sure i dont get duped into forking out hundreds as id rather buy a new pro instead, and borrow the money. What is going on?

2. tug macrumors 6502

so are you saying that when you plug in using your brothers charger everything works? What you describe is a little confusing.

but to me it sounds like your battery has died!

Which in my experience does cause an array of strange things to happen, as the thing is in the process of dying.

3. ellenyrox thread starter macrumors newbie

ellenyrox

Hi thanks for replying. No his charger doesn't make a difference. I know because of its age that ill only get a max of probably a year or 2 more out of it, so I don't want to spend £110 on a new battery, then buy a new charger then fan etc. it's so frustrating cause I really don't have the money to fix it or buy a new one!

4. tug macrumors 6502

it looks like a trip to apple is your best bet friend, i hope its not too bad for you, good luck.

5. ellenyrox thread starter macrumors newbie

ellenyrox

Just for anyone who may be having any similar problems, I went to apple today, they tested everything, and would you believe, the fan started working again. It was dead last week so the guy said a lump of dust must have been jammed and come loose again or something. I asked if he could open it and dust it but he said not to bother unless it happens again. Battery was dead, I was going to only buy a charger as I don't take it anywhere, but got reading about dirty power/surges damaging hardware so got a battery too. Together they cost me around £148. would have been £166 but I had my uni card so got discount instore, plus year warranty on both. I think he said online you only get 3 months. Hopefully I'll get another year or two out of it! The macbook is only worth £149 on their recycling scheme so spent what it's worth today! At least it's more sellable if I decide to upgrade!