Is there an upgrade guide for Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Marcus263, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Marcus263 macrumors regular

For those of us who don't really know, do we just stick the CD in the drive and it'll do the rest, or do we back-up all our stuff and clean install?

2. devburke Guest

Yes, you can just pop it in and let it do its thing. You can also clean install if you want, but it sounds like you'd rather not.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Backing up should be part and parcel of any OS installation/upgrade.

4. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

i backed up with superduper just in case it messes up. No problems here. Installed Snow Leopard Developer Build. Popped DVD in, pressed a few yes and system password and walked off for about an hour. Came back to a login window with most of my settings in tact. :cool:

5. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

so when you say back up beforehand... do you meant on an external hd instead of my normal time capsule time machine back up? or will my tc/tm back up be sufficient?

6. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

How to install Snow Leopard:

1. Back up using Time Machine - Just in case. It is upgrading system files, anything can go wrong.
    2. Pop in Snow Leopard
    3. Click "Install"
    4. Go through basic questions to install, upgrade is fine. (Other options might be more confusing. This is best if you want an easy upgade.)
    5. Wait
    6. Enjoy Snow Leopard

That's all there is to it. It's a Mac, it's not going to be confusing. If you have issues, AppleCare is your friend. :)

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe
    1.1. Back up using Time Machine - Just in case. It is upgrading system files, anything can go wrong.
    2. Wait till a few have got the retail discs
    3. Check the Mac OS forum for problems
    4. Pop in Snow Leopard
    5. Click "Install"
    6. Go through basic questions to install, upgrade is fine. (Other options might be more confusing. This is best if you want an easy upgade.)
    7. Wait
    8. If there's an issue - hit Macrumors for a solution.
    8. Enjoy Snow Leopard
    ? I guess the need for a forced reboot a couple of times after the 10.5.8 update makes me a little wary of saying everyone's got plain sailling!

8. St. Germain macrumors 6502

There is an Instructions folder on the install disc that contains an Installation Instructions PDF.

For more info see this Lifehacker story...

http://lifehacker.com/5345690/prep-your-mac-for-snow-leopard?skyline=true&s=x

9. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's a better solution. :) I'll be one of the ones that installs before I check the forums. I plan on being one of the first in line. :)

10. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

excellent. thanks.

we just ordered our family pack upgrade online today. :)