Is there an Youtube replacement app?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yalag, Nov 22, 2015.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

So I hear that youtube will never implement PIP because they want you to stay in the app....

I'm willing to pay money to solve this, I don't want to be punished by google's greed. Is there a good replacement app for youtube that allows me to access all features (history, subscriptions, comments, etc) while supporting PIP?

2. April Knight Suspended

ProTube is alright, even though, in my opinion, it's cluttered and butt ugly. But functionality-wise, it's okay. Just waiting for Google to update YouTube to iPad Pro so it's not all stretched out.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not talking about stretching, they already said they won't do PIP

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

PiP is possible without any apps if you go to www.youtube.com on your iPad and select "Request Desktop site" from the share menu. The desktop YouTube version with HTML5 player will be loaded and you will be able to use PiP.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Haven't you ever changed your mind?

Follow Google much?

They constantly adjust strategies faster and more effectively than any other tech co.

Unlike Apple who's stubborn ego restricts them, Google remains an innovative leader. If not for them, our iDevice experience would be rather dull.

6. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

No actually Google changes all the time, but each time for the sake of more ads revenue so no they will never implement PIP

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

YouTube app is pretty ugly on the Pro. I've been mostly happy using ProTube.

8. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Does it play every video? Also, does it have subscriptions, history and playlists?

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes to subscriptions, history, and playlists. I don't know about every video but everyone I've tried has worked fine. And it's native resolution on the Pro, not stretched like YouTube.

10. April Knight Suspended

I understand that. ProTube offers PIP, which is why I suggested it. I was then explaining that I am using ProTube myself until YouTube gets optimized for iPad Pro.

11. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

i hate the fact that in ProTube watched videos don't show the "watched" watermark on the thumbnail like in the official youtube app.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I vote for Protube as well. I find it offers smoother streaming performance over the stock Youtube app, supports PIP and background streaming, as well as airplay mirroring to my Apple TV (which Youtube oddly didn't support for a while). And just as importantly, no ads. Well worth the few dollars for the app.

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I also really like ProTube's functionality, though I do agree that it's not the prettiest app in the world.

14. richlin71 macrumors newbie

YouPlayer has PIP. It's free and is a decent player with some ads you can pay to make them go away.