Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i heard the white iphones are blue tinted like the old 1st gen

but i just want to know if this is true and if apple says that the new iphone is more close to true colors then, why doesn't apple make an update that makes the 1st generation iphone the same yellow true tint like ours?

or is it really the new iPhones screen and not a calibration? i guess some people will be still dissapointed with yellowish tint or w/e, but im happy with it, the colors seem more real.

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I got an iPhone 3G on launch day. The screen was beautiful, with a slightly warm tone and great colors.

I sent back this phone because of a different problem. The replacement phone I got had a terrible BLUE-tinted screen which is vastly inferior to that of the original phone I sent back. The colors are washed out and games look ugly. If I had known I was going to get a replacement phone with a screen this ugly I would never have sent back my original phone.

I hope Apple offers a way to adjust the white-balance. I mean seriously, how much time would it take for them to add one slider in the preferences? Why does Apple insist on hiding basic controls like this from the user? I take it as an insult that they would assume I'm too stupid to handle the addition of as basic a feature as this.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I hope Apple offers a way to adjust the white-balance. I mean seriously, how much time would it take for them to add one slider in the preferences? Why does Apple insist on hiding basic controls like this from the user? I take it as an insult that they would assume I'm too stupid to handle the addition of as basic a feature as this.

I agree - it should be pretty straightforward to add and would make a lot of people very happy: not everyone likes the same colour temp on their screen!

ShiroDX

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
I got an iPhone 3G on launch day. The screen was beautiful, with a slightly warm tone and great colors.

I sent back this phone because of a different problem. The replacement phone I got had a terrible BLUE-tinted screen which is vastly inferior to that of the original phone I sent back. The colors are washed out and games look ugly. If I had known I was going to get a replacement phone with a screen this ugly I would never have sent back my original phone.

I have the same issue and it's pissing me off.
I want apple to do some thing about this because this is not the product I purchased.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
When i first got my iPhone 3G i hated the yellow tinted screen, it just bugged me and always felt like it was somehow a defect.

However when i comparied it to the blue tinted screen of my 2G iPhone i could not believe how much brighter and more vivid the yellow tint made the screen look.

Now i dont like the blue 'cool' tint screens!

I did send a request on the iPhone feedback form on the apple website requesting a slider in the settings menu anyway.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I have an early iPod Touch and a day 1 iPhone 3G .... side by side with the same picture displayed shows a totally different color profile.

The 3G is a lot warmer but as apple tried to defend....it IS more accurate. The iPod temp is just too cool.

yoomy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
There is a huge amount of different Displays used for the iPhone 3G. Some got a bit warmer color temperature and great contrast totally beating the old iPhone. But there are some with extreme yellow tint, which are just nasty to look at. Then there are the ones with the washed out look due to bad contrast. To be honest, I do not think, that this can be fixed via software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.