is there any 3rd party OSX apps that can do trim defrag for ssd drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juandixon109, Apr 15, 2010.

1. juandixon109 macrumors member

since osx doesn' support it directly yet. Was wondering if you DO own an ssd that DOES support trim natively eg. Intel x25m, if there is a defrag/disk utility company that has an app on the OSX for this?

2. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

I was told there is a boot CD on windows that will allow you to run a manual TRIM from Intel. You just need to plug it into a windows machine.

3. juandixon109 thread starter macrumors member

That's the best news I've heard so far, THANKS!

4. juandixon109 thread starter macrumors member

be funny if i just install windows on the ssd just for that. :rolleyes:

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but this would only be fore intel drives?

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Could you not just zero the disk every 6 months and restore from a time machine on an external?

7. buchhla macrumors newbie

That most likely will not work on any OSX partitions because the utility needs to know how to talk to the filesystem to do the trim, so a windows utility will not work on the osx partitions, only on the FAT/FAT32/NTFS ones.

8. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

If it's a boot CD then you BOOT to that - installing windows is not required. The file system differences will probably be an issue...

9. acurafan macrumors 6502a

that's not funny, that's friggin sad! so much for the most 'advanced' operating system in the world. http://www.apple.com/macosx/ :rolleyes:

10. RcktMan77 macrumors member

No, this is not the solution. It will make no difference to an ssd; and perhaps, make matters worse if your drive does in fact have free sectors available that haven't been written to. Writing 0s to the drive is just like writing any other data to the drive. You use zeroing to erase data beyond recovery for security purposes on magnetic storage.

The problem with ssd performance degradation is that when the ssd sectors are written to, the drive has to erase that sector when it wants to re-write new data to that location of the drive again. This is a time-consuming process; and thus, the drive's write performance suffers. Matters become worse when you recognize that when you go to erase a file in your operating system the file doesn't actually get erased on the disk, but rather the operating system makes note of the address location on the disk where the file resides and flags it as free space to be overwritten when needed.

Most recent drives support Garbage Collection and TRIM functions that help alleviate this; however, I am surprised no entrepreneuring developers have written a 3rd-party utility to do this either manually or behind-the-scenes in the absence of the functionality on Mac OS X. Diglloyd announced an update to their Diglloyd Tools today which includes an ssd recondition feature which you can read more about here: http://macperformanceguide.com/Software-DiskTester-UserManual-recondition.html Though, I'm not sure that does much good either.

11. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Unfortunently Apple just needs to enable it themselves. And they dont seem to be in a rush.

12. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Unfortunately we are all just going to have to wait until Steve deems us worthy of another new technology. That is if he hasn't already stuck it in the Bag of Hurt with Blueray and Flash.

13. ttran88 macrumors regular

If the SSD has a firmware update that does the trimming itself, does it need the operating system to support it also? Or will it "trim" either way?

14. joelcsf macrumors member

I do know that OCZ firmware 1.5 supports both "garbage collection" and TRIM. In the case of OCZ, the garbage collection is OS/FS agnostic - it just runs with the drive is idle.

I have myself seen an Intel X25-M degrade in performance (marginally) over a 6+ month window of heavy usage.

My OCZ drives, with firmware applied, have not degraded in performance.

Just my experience... Not trying to generalize here.

15. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

The more posts I read like this, the happier I am about my vertex purchase. Now if my damn Macbook can get here so I can install it!

16. ttran88 macrumors regular

Hah, I'm the opposite. Now if my damn Crucial m225 SSD can get here so I can install it!

:D

17. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

ha. stuck in china too? :(

18. ttran88 macrumors regular

Na, I ordered it yesterday and I want it already :mad:
    Ahh, this is why I hate ordering online even though I saved 150. :)

:cool: