Is there any advantage to HDMI over DVI except for audio?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaminthejar, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jaminthejar macrumors member

I just got a new HP2475w and it looks phenomenal. I am getting a little used to the monitor's slower response time (I think it's 12ms?), so right now it almost feels like there's some slight lag on the image display. It's really not a big deal, and this monitor is primarily for illustration so the primary concern is color accuracy.

I have it hooked up directly from my Macbook Pro (August 2006) through DVI. Is there any advantage to using HDMI? I don't have audio in the monitor, and from what I know, HDMI and DVI carry the same digital video signal. Is DVI definitely the best way to connect it? Thanks guys and gals.

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

HDMI and DVI should be no different since as you stated the signals are the same. What are you doing when you notice lag?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

The HDMI from the macbook pro won't have audio. it's a video connection only.

4. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

It's nothing, MBPs don't have HDMI ;)

@OP
    It shouldn't make any difference, as your Mac is only outputting through DVI anyway. The only thing that 'might' be an issue is if there's a problem with the DVI port. Does the screen have a secondary DVI port you could try?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

ok so i should have been clearer, a DVI -> HDMI adapter cable plugged into the mac won't have audio.

I've seen a few posts where people get the cable and then complain that there's no audio.

also check out monoprice.com for your cables, they have really good prices

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

There shouldn't be any difference between DVI and HDMI in terms of video quality. The regular DVI connector is of course, bulkier than it's HDMI counterpart.

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Even with the MBP 15" closed, the audio is still pretty loud and good quality. Monoprice's DVI-HDMI cable is awesome.