is there any alternative of adobe Flash player?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by jigsb007, May 9, 2011.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Experts,

i am a regular user of Bloomberg TV, which i used to play ( LIVE TV) on my laptop. but now since i have bought ipad 1, i would like to play that on that, but its giving me an error about Adobe Flash player. i guess it requires that player and Apple doesnt support it.

Do i have any option?

2. Zodiak macrumors regular

Only if jailbroken, which there isnt any for the iPad 2.

There is something available on cydia called Frash but, and correct me if I'm wrong, never made it out of the alpha/beta stages, was unstable, didnt work for everything and was more of a "look what i can do" feature.

Sadly, it was abandoned and never picked up :(

Alternatively, there is a browser you can buy on the appstore called Skyfire, which isnt free, but is hit or miss on playing flash as, if it actually detects the correct flash content, on a website that has many flash pieces going at the same time, will convert it to html5 (after some processing time) and then display it to you the best that it can.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If you search the forums you will find many threads about various apps that give some level if flash compatibility.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

Unfortunately the specs published by Adobe for their Open Screen project are incomplete (the project was more for show than a genuine effort to open up Flash). Without Adobe providing better/complete specs, don't expect any open source Flash project to to get beyond an Alpha state.

5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Try Puffin in app store...I have had great luck with that with ny times site and the replica edition. I logged into Bloom Tv and got the video, it was a little choppy but you can certainly hear it fine!

6. mrlowkey macrumors member

Same here...avid bloomberg tv fan...watch it every morning on the way to work when market opens etc..Tvu should solve yr problem...stable & soooo reliable even on 3g hotspot tethering..

http://twitpic.com/4vnbev

http://twitpic.com/4vnbj0

http://twitpic.com/4vnbpe

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

Splashtop desktop allows you to connect to a computer and you can view flash that way as it forwards audio to your ipad also. That is the only good way to do it (if you are at home and have another computer that is either on or asleep all the time

8. French macrumors regular

I've been using iSwifter for the 5 days I've owned my iPad.

9. Funso macrumors member

Yep, iSwifter is pretty good.

I play Fifa 11 on my Xbox, and there's a flash PC webpage hosted by EA that allows you to edit teams and such on your home computer. iSwifter has no problems with it whatsoever.

Naturally, it's doing something alien to the IOS, so it's not as smooth as flash on a Mac or PC, but it's certainly the best solution available right now.

10. French macrumors regular

I've discovered iSwifter does not work with Xfinity playback. Very disappointed. If anyone has experience with another browser that does please post or PM. Thanks.

11. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Is Skyfire not an option? That's what I've used to view Flash content. No jailbreak required.

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I just installed Puffin based on the recommendations above. Watching a flash video right now golfchannel.com and while it's not perfect it's better then anything I've seen so far. Actually has what they call a flash plug-in.

I'm impressed, and it can only get better with updates, right?

13. err404 macrumors 68020

Since Apple wont allow Flash to actually run on your device, the way these apps work is by using an intermediary server to run the Flash app. The screen is sent to your iDevice as a streaming video feed.
    Take a look at the iPad OnLive app to get an idea of how far this idea could go with enough funding.

14. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1 Skyfire