Is there any benefit from camping out on the 10th?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by obelisk, Mar 26, 2015.

1. obelisk, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

obelisk macrumors newbie

I'm unclear on this…because on the 10th, they are opening up preorders, and appointments. So you have to make an appointment to try on the Watch, right? You can make that appointment both online or in person, and you can't just walk-in and try it on, so wouldn't it actually be more prudent to stay home and make an appointment online?

Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe people in line will get to try them on a first-come-first-serve basis? But I've seen no mention of that anywhere at all.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

3. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

The only benefit is looking like a complete psycho.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Camping out to try something on?! That you can't yet buy?! I'm stunned. The Apple shareholder in me loves this, but I'm really at a loss for the right word... Crazy? Fanatical? What?

5. obelisk thread starter macrumors newbie

me

----------

Preordering is equivalent to buying. I want to know whether or not I want it as soon as possible…sorry? What is wrong with being fanatical?

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So, nobody prior to this has mentioned camping out on the 10th.

Why are you talking about it? Are you thinking of doing it yourself?

7. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Just do it, who cares if anyone else will be joining you.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Please send us all the pictures of your camp out. Please!

9. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I will be camping out. Before my iMac. 30 minutes before the preorders start.

But in theory you can do the same in real life.

10. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

While an appointment to try on the Apple Watch is recommended, it is not required.

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Well, go for it. Its your decision. Might be kinda lonely if you are the only one out there...

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

13. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Totally valid question by the OP.

Advantages: If you camp out in front of Apple Store in NYC on Fifth Avenue and are first in line, you will be interviewed by local and possibly national media. If you are wearing an advertisement at that time (say in the form of a t-shirt with the name of your product or URL) you will get "free" press worth potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you camp in front of other stores there is the chance of similar media attention but to a lesser degree.

Then you will be the first person into the Apple store on the morning of April 10 to go play with the Watches that are lined up on the tables. You might need an appointment to get a fitting or individual attention, but there will be something for walk-ins to do.

The first advantage might be worth it to someone. The second advantage doesn't seem worth it to anyone. But maybe if you fear that the Watch is going to sell out in pre-order, but you can't make up your mind, you want to run in there early on April 10 and then pre-order after you can see it.

Since the stores are open 24 hours in many places. I guess you could be in the Apple Store at midnight, maybe they will have the watch section behind a screen or curtain and they will lift it at midnight. That sounds like madness. But then you could take a quick look at the watches, pick one out, and preorder from a computer at the store even without an appointment.

14. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Unless they are planning on camping out from the 10th until the 24th they are not going to generate major media coverage. The news is not going to cover the story of 1 guy camping out to try on a watch.

The idea of this is completely silly and this is coming from someone who has camped out at numerous apple product launches, the difference being I walked away owning the product I camped out for.

So no, there is no benefit to camping out on the 10th.

15. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You could meet the love of your life in line, then you will have someone to tap secret messages with on your :apple:Watch.

16. brig2221 macrumors 6502

lmao!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness to the OP, do what makes you happy man. I think some might be a little incredulous that someone would want to camp out for something you can't buy yet, but again, do what makes you happy, who cares what anyone else thinks.

17. jwball macrumors regular

I don't see the point of camping out for something you can order online and have delivered. It's a complete waste of life!

18. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I have done both, and the last several years I have preferred to order online. However, the years I did camp out were generally fun experiences. I almost always connected with a group of people in line while waiting and had a good time, so I wouldn't classify it as a complete waste of time.

19. jwball macrumors regular

I suppose if you don't have a job (or do have a job and have unused holidays) or a family it could be a way of making friends. Personally I think it's silly, but each to his/her own. I can think of more comfortable and enjoyable ways to spend time.

20. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

NO, absolutely not. this is not a Mac, iPhone Or iPad. to need to Panic. there will be no "Sold out"

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The Apple Watch doesn't go on sale until April 24. So, there is no need to line up until April 24.

Yes, the Apple Watch WILL sell out and be hard to get on April 24 - so line up then, or pre-order.

----------

I've been in 2 Apple lines before (iPhone 6 and iPad 1), in both instances they were fond memories.

I got in line in each case about 2 hours before the store opened. (6am for an 8am opening). It was a non-stop social occasion. 2 hours straight of talking to people with like interests and making friends. Then when I got my device, I went to work. Well worth the 2 hours I went to bed earlier the night before.

Online ordering would have been more painful to get up at 3am, spend an hour sleepily refreshing browsers trying to get an order in, then trying to fall back asleep. I would much rather wake up early, make friends and have fond memories.

22. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

It's more prudent to pre-order the watch online as well. Pre-order online, and make an appointment online. Problem solved.

23. jwball macrumors regular

I agree with the example you've given. 2 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things. The "silly" part I referred to is sleeping outside stores for days on end.

Out of interest why could you not get up at 6am and order online?

24. hemolyzer macrumors member

I actually have used most of my vacation time from work to camp outside the store from the 10th to the 24th.

25. phpmaven, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

2 hours before? You're a lightweight. Come back when you've started sitting in line in a beach chair at 3pm the previous day, or even earlier. :D

Seriously though, the reason I may camp out on launch day is that I really want to try on the SS link watch vs the Space Black SS watch. If I try to make an appointment on the 10th to check them out, the one I want will quite possibly be sold out by the time I try to preorder. I think the Space Black, the one I'm the most interested in, may be sold out very quickly.

I guess I could just preorder both.