Is there any benefit to using different accounts on my computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

After having my macbook for well over a year, it occurred to me while watching a OSX tutorial vid that maybe there might be some advantage to myself having different user accounts depending on the applications I'm using?

For example, I think I may have a bunch of background processes being used by various applications because of all the applications and stuff and being connected to the internet and all.

I also use applications like Logic Pro which I guess would help that as much of the cpu/memory isn't being hogged by anything else in the background.

So my question would be would it help, to say, have one user acount (like my original admin account) that has all the internet and general usage applications installed and then have another with just my audio apps and no other stuff.

Its like I'm thinking this works kinda like how you would have different extension sets on pre- osx systems. Like I would turn alot of unneeded extensions and control panels off when I was using my computer for just audio/recording in OS7/8 or 9.

I have no idea if this even makes sense.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

It doesn't :) User accounts are for purposes other than you describe. If the extra load of running a browser (for example) to connect to the internet is slowing your Mac down noticeably you either need a faster Mac or to add more memory and/or a faster disk.

You are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist ( and that you don't have from what you say, you don't mention your computer is slow?)

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks... yeah, my macbook runs great. I was just wondering if having specific applications installed on different user accounts might squeeze a bit more performance with regards to audio recording, for example. :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's only beneficial, if you tweak certain accounts to have no start up items, no dashboard, etc. Gain would be minuscule.

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I have several accounts. The admin account, which I rarely use. A troubleshooting account, with no added apps at all. It stays pristine to use as a test account if one of my other accounts develops problems. That way I can try the troubleshooting account to see if the problem is there as well. If it is, the problem is with the iMac. If not, the problem is with the account. My troubleshooting account has admin privileges as well.
    I use a Standard Account for all the day-to-day usage. That way nothing gets installed unless I know it and want it.
    It sounds more complicated than it is, but it works for me.
    Morod

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...for me, the best use of and extra account is like Morod has - one for troubleshooting. Being able to eliminate (or establish) your main account as the source of any problem that may crop up can save a ton of time when trying to resolve an issue....oh yeah!

7. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. OK, so its nothing I should worry about then. I already use dashboard killer for example and I was concerned over these other bunches of background processes that may or may not have anything to do with the functioning of my system.