Is there any danger to daisy chaining an ethernet connection through a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxband, Jul 23, 2015.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I connect to the internet with an ethernet cord that has a thunderbolt extension attached to the end. Is there any danger to daisy chaining from the ethernet cord through a hard drive to my computer. I'm doing it now and it works fine but i want to make sure im not going to somehow screw up the hard drive.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your configuration posed a threat to your HDD, then it would have damaged the HDD already. If it has not happened, then it will not happen.

3. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

The only potential I see that *might* exist for any sort of adverse impact would be a possible drop in data throughput by daisy chaining ethernet connected devices. The only such personal experience I have is a few years ago, the company I worked for began replacing our desk phones from a traditional phone to digital/VoIP Cisco phones. In order to save on costs of running new/additional UTP cabling out to the thousands of cubicles in our office complex, the network/telecom team decided to set up every office with the Cisco VoIP phone connected to the existing network port in each cubicle, and then daisy chain our laptop/desktop to the Cisco phone. Horrendous network performance drop! If you plugged your laptop/desktop into it's own LAN port, you got back to your normal network performance.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Usually, those hard drives only have 100 Mbps Ethernet ports so you may lose speed but there is no harm.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

So you have a ethernet cable plugged into a Thunderbolt/Ethernet Adapter with is plugged into a Thunderbolt Drive and then the drive plugs into your computer?

If so there is no danger whatsoever. The two signals are independent and will not cross paths. It will work just fine with no performance impact.