is there any difference in performance or is it just the storage capacity the differe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elyah, Jan 3, 2014.

1. elyah macrumors member

512GB Pcle-based flash storge
    1TB pcle-based flash storge do they both perform the same ? or is the difference just storage capacity. Thank you

2. dirtnnasty macrumors member

Ssd speed rises slightly with capacity...

But just a little percentage...

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I understood from this forum, that esp the 1TB PCIe drive boasts almost double data throughput due to 4-lane PCI, compared to 2 lanes on all smaller disks.

4. elyah thread starter macrumors member

TO the previous post thank you for your replies512GB is adequate storage for me just trying to justify if the performance different is enough for me to upgrade if the difference is little. I would definitely welcome saving the $500

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

A 1TB SSD has read/writes of around 1.2GB/s (source: 9to5mac)
    A 512GB SSD has read/writes of around 750/650 MB/s (source: benchmarked my own iMac with a 512GB PCIe SSD).

In real life situations, the difference isn't noticeable, unless you do heavy 4K video editing. Since I do this with my EOS-1Dc, my Haswell rMBP's got a 1TB SSD.

The 1TB SSD is faster because it's got a 4-lane PCIe. All other capacities only have 2-lane PCIe.

6. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

if you aren't a power user, you probably won't notice it at all. Or not enough to justify the price.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You need a Mac Pro with 12Cores to benefit from 1GB/s speed. On the slow mobile quad core the difference to 750MB/s is unnoticeable. It sounds like there is a difference but there really is not. Random speeds are pretty much the same and they determine responsiveness. In many situations you will be CPU bound long before you are SSD bound on 750MB/s.
    The only thing that would be slightly faster is a direct copy from the very same file on the same drive, even if it is only a lightly compressed archive the CPU will limit the unpacking speed.
    Other metrics that actually matter for performance are the same. Such as access times and random speeds.

8. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

750 Mb Read/Write speeds are already overkill in a laptop.

9. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

It's not a little difference, unless the SSD is bottlenecked by the connector. Higher capacity SSD's are also a lot more reliable.

----------

I have to agree with this statement. It's nice that a 1 TB SSD can do over 1TB/s, but in most usage there will be no difference in performance since other stuff like access time and random speed determines the responsiveness.

10. padapada macrumors regular

Spot on. In addition you can be network bound. And most of the time I am brain bound

11. elyah thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your replies on this thread truly helping a newbie like me out a lot! Great info appreciate it!