Is There Any Effective Way To Remove Dust From Under the iPhone's Display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 31, 2009.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I just received my third iPhone 3GS. Everything seems fine except for a fairly big piece of dust stuck under the bottom left of the glass. It isn't in the way of the screen, but it sort of shines in light, making it noticeable and stand out more than the iPhone 3GS's display. I don't think I want another replacement, but I'm curious if anybody has even been able to remove dust under their display without opening their iPhone (I'm sure it would be hard to take the display apart and put it back on without fingerprints, marks, dust, etc.)? I'm also wondering if the dust could move over time to get in the way of the display? Thanks in advance.

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

There's actually dust about a third up the screen, as well, and this has been extremely annoying. I've heard of some people on MR talking about using compressed air toget the dust out. If I could get this speck of dust out, I'd almost have a perfect iPhone. Does anybody have any idea how to remove dust from under the glass?

3. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Ultimately no, unless you are granted access to a clean room, and some serious equipment. All the air we're in contact with is so full of bits that simply opening the screen would exacerbate the issue.

If the problem's bad enough, another replacement might be in order. Assuming you grovel and the moon's blue

4. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

I find the dust moves around over time. Mine has moved out of the main viewing area to the perimeter. I swear this was helped by me leaving a vibrating alert on and the dust bounced to one side with the aid of gravity.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I took my iPhone apart and removed the dust myself. It worked well. I have ZERO bits of dust under my screen now.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'm sorry. But I have never heard such picky behavior in my life. Anyone
    can find something wrong with anything if they want to. This borders
    on OCB imo.

7. Coraline macrumors member

OCB?

Listen, people are paying enough money for these phones. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be in perfect condition when they're bought.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Taking a phone apart to remove a speck of dust is a TERRIBLE idea, IMO. Just sayin'.

9. tsvb macrumors 6502

Sure, take it into the Apple store and they will replace the display for you.