is there any enhanced maps app for jailbroken ios device?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by toogle, Feb 23, 2012.

1. toogle, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

toogle macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am just wondering is there any enhanced maps app for jailbroken ios devices?

We can see the functions of original map app in ios or google map in safari are rather simple compared to the map in android
    I heard that it's because apple do not allow google to put google map to the appstore for it may replace the original one (not sure whether the saying is true, anyway, the fact is we do not have a good map app)

So I am thinking if someone has developed some enhanced google map apps in cydia market. Not just the offline cache enhancement, but a full function map like maps in android.

And can anyone tell me IF jailbreaking is still legal in the future, are there any legal issues from google if a developer publish this kind of google map app as cydia app

thx

2. takeshi74, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Best I've seen is Navigate from Maps and you still have to have a supported nav app but IIRC it supports Waze and possibly some other free nav apps if you're insistent on using a free one.

There are plenty of good nav apps. There's just no free one bundled with the device.

Google Maps belongs to Google. A dev can't publish Google Maps without infringing. If you want Google Maps Nav then you have to be on Android.

3. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I use TomTom and Navigate From Maps together and it is wonderful.

4. toogle thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't used nav apps like tomtom but heard about them. maybe they're good.

But I hope to have something like google map, which may offer many location based service information, custom layers, transportation and etc.

so if apple and google cannot have any agreement, there won't be a full functional google map on ios :(