Is there any free PST to Mac Mail Converter?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ddtuxx, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ddtuxx macrumors newbie

ddtuxx

Hello,

Need to convert 5+ PST files into Mac Mail format so that, it can be easily accessed on Mac machine. Googled for same... but came across paid utilities.

Any other suggestion?

Regards

2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I haven't done this in years. I don't like Apple Mail anymore. But I do remember dealing with this years ago.

I don't recall all the steps. But I can try to point you in the right direction.

What you need to do, is find a program that is compatible with both email programs.

I ended up using Mozilla Thunderbird. Which was a free email program.

What I found was that Entourage/Outlook was able to export to a format that Thunderbird could import.

I then used Thunderbird to export to Apple Mail.

Try doing some google searching for solutions like that, and see if that gets you closer to a workable solution.

Best of luck to you

3. sevoneone macrumors 6502

The Thunderbird solution requires installing Thunderbird on PC. Thunderbird can import PST files as long as Outlook is installed on the same PC. Once all the mail is in Thundebird, you can use it to export to mbox files, which Apple Mail can read. There are a lot of recent roadblocks to this method though, the big one being if you have a 64bit version of Outlook. Thunderbird is 32bit and Windows won't let 32bit and 64bit software to talk to each other. It also tends to not work if the PSTs had folder structures that were complex and multiple levels deep.

How much mail is in the PST files? If it isn't a lot and you have decent broadband, the easy way might be to sign up for an email account that provides IMAP access, like Gmail. Set it up on Outlook on a PC and in Mail on the new Mac. Open the PSTs in Outlook and then right-click and copy the messages and folders up to the gmail account, IMAP will sync everything down to the Mac. For contacts and calendars, you can use Outlook to export vcard/csv and iCal files. This obviously isn't the fastest method, but I've used it a couple of times for users with less than 5GB of mail and it worked very well and is done in a couple hours usually.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

As I mentioned before, it's been a long time since I've made similar conversions. So I'll defer to you as it sounds like you may have more recent experience.

But I remember doing the whole process on a Mac. And I see that there are still Mac versions of Thunderbird.

Has there been a new roadblock implemented?

It seems like all I did was import the pst files into Thunderbird. And then use the Finder in OS X to simply copy the Thunderbird data folders into the Apple Mail folder location. It seems like I remember them both using the same Mail folder and data structure at the time. But, admittedly, it has been many years. This was back in the PPC days.

5. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Yeah, PST import broke awhile back and was removed. To my knowledge it has never been fixed on Mac, and the PC solution requires having a 32 bit version of Outlook installed. You can still download older versions of Thunderbird that have the PST import, but they are not very stable on modern machines. This site has a more detail on options
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files

6. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense.

7. RockhopperTM macrumors newbie

RockhopperTM

I'm going through a similar thing. I did it many years ago but the tool I used is no longer available.

I need to do it again after a jump back to a Mac for my main PC.

This time I'm doing it through my imap mail account. I'm loading the PST on my Windows machine, dragging a folder at a time from the PST to my imap account and then sync the mail folder on the Mac and then copying to an offline folder on the Mac.

Its a bit long winded but it seems to be working fine and there is no issue with conversion, as I found with some mails when I did it all them years ago.