Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Once again, my stupid Mighty Mouse won't scroll down with the little ball.
All of the other directions work.

Last time this happened, I took it apart and that lower roller was clogged with lint... but the mouse was never quite the same after reassembly so I bought another. This sucks, I like the mouse but not if it's going to do this non-stop.

Anyone have a solution? :mad:

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I had the same problem didn't have a solution so had to replace the mouse.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
These mice are terrible for this. I too have taken 2 apart to clean them out for the same problem. Yet clearly they were not designed to be taken apart and serviced, but its a pretty tough little job, and they look rather scabby in places after the work too.. Its not something you could do more than once or maybe twice to a Mighty Mouse. It would just become an ugly wreck.
I dont rate the Apple cleaning technique either, plus other similar ideas. At best it works ok again for a couple of days, then acts up again in my experience.

The mighty mouse was a nice idea, but a very poorly executed one..

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I agree 100%. I've had 2 MM's replaced, and the third one is now acting up. My family is pretty clean for the most part. I have my own pristine MM that I only use once in a while, and it's a joy to use.

I think this is just an example of a really bad product that absolutely rocks when it works.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Okay, I put the damp cloth on a table with the mouse upside-down on top of it and ran the thing back and forth as fast as I could.

It works now. Yay :apple:

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you haven't cleaned it in a while, it may take several passes with the towel procedure.

I hope they provide easier access to the nipple assembly in the next revision of the MM (even if it's just a small hole to blow canned air to clear out lint), as the current model truly is a pain to clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.