Is there any hope for my Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benguild, Sep 23, 2007.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Once again, my stupid Mighty Mouse won't scroll down with the little ball.
    All of the other directions work.

Last time this happened, I took it apart and that lower roller was clogged with lint... but the mouse was never quite the same after reassembly so I bought another. This sucks, I like the mouse but not if it's going to do this non-stop.

Anyone have a solution? :mad:

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I had the same problem didn't have a solution so had to replace the mouse.

4. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

These mice are terrible for this. I too have taken 2 apart to clean them out for the same problem. Yet clearly they were not designed to be taken apart and serviced, but its a pretty tough little job, and they look rather scabby in places after the work too.. Its not something you could do more than once or maybe twice to a Mighty Mouse. It would just become an ugly wreck.
    I dont rate the Apple cleaning technique either, plus other similar ideas. At best it works ok again for a couple of days, then acts up again in my experience.

The mighty mouse was a nice idea, but a very poorly executed one..

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have to agree with that. They really need to redesign the scroll ball to be removable.

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I agree 100%. I've had 2 MM's replaced, and the third one is now acting up. My family is pretty clean for the most part. I have my own pristine MM that I only use once in a while, and it's a joy to use.

I think this is just an example of a really bad product that absolutely rocks when it works.

7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I put the damp cloth on a table with the mouse upside-down on top of it and ran the thing back and forth as fast as I could.

It works now. Yay :apple:

8. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scratch-that... it just stopped working again. Stupid mouse

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you haven't cleaned it in a while, it may take several passes with the towel procedure.

I hope they provide easier access to the nipple assembly in the next revision of the MM (even if it's just a small hole to blow canned air to clear out lint), as the current model truly is a pain to clean.