Is there any keyboard cover for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crisis, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Crisis macrumors member

I know the keyboard layout is same as non-retina MBPs, but the keys are thinner, so keyboard covers for those models do not fit perfectly on rMBPs. Is there any cover especially designed for rMBP's keyboard now?

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Ordered on from amazon for $7. Works great on rMBP

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

In all the years I've used PowerBooks, then MacBook Pro's I have always marveled at how different an incredible number of Mac Buyers are. They've spawned an entire industry of accessories that only Mac users obsess over, like keyboard covers, skins, thin plastic shells in colors that cover perfectly gorgeous aluminum housings ... all in the name of "protection".

I use mine as Apple intended, right out of the box. With a little care, mine remain scratch & dent free. People ask if they're new. When they learn their age, people see that Macs are truly durable. It's true, Apple builds a high quality laptop. I see no need to cover it up.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

In all the years I've been on the internet, and in forums, I've never understood why people feel it is necessary to express THEIR opinion, rather than try to answer the original question.

6. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Because when you see someone doing something wrong the correct thing is to try correct their error and educate them.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Public computer & smartphone forums are where owners of the same products express their thoughts, opinions & experiences with each other. It's known as freedom of speech & sharing.

It's as simple as that. :)

8. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

They do, but I don't recommend it. Apple designs their laptops in a way where they use the tiny gaps between the keys on the keyboard to release the heat. All you're doing it covering those gaps up and keeping the heat trapped inside of the laptop. It will make your MacBook much hotter temperature wise.

9. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

There's a plate behind the keyboard. There is absolutely NO AIR being vented.

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This statement is not true...especially on a rMBP.

11. lazer155 macrumors regular

There were some threads awhile ago with people recommending the Moshi keyboard protectors. I don't have one myself but supposedly it is super thin so it doesn't feel like it is on the keyboard. That's the one I am going to get.

The only thing is that I'm not sure they have one specifically for the rmbp. On their website it says that they do but a couple forum members here have said that it seems to be the same one as the non-rmbp and doesn't fit as well as it should. The last couple replies in those threads said that Moshi announced they were going to have one out by august some time but I'm not sure that is still the case. I'm confused myself about the whole situation with this particular brand so I apologize if my answer isn't much help. That's about the only company I have heard about besides 1 or 2 on amazon.

12. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I was using it on my 2010 Mbp and now retina.

13. lazer155 macrumors regular

Does it fix snuggly? It's not lose or anything? What about the new power button on the rmbp's keyboard?

14. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Yes, it FiTS snuggly and no it's not LOOSE. :D
    and yes it covers the power button.
    All is well. ;)

15. qpiqp macrumors member

The actually shape of the keyboard hasn't changed one bit so it should fit exactly the same. The only difference is that the eject button has become a power button. If the cover is clear you have no worries, if not, just know that the eject button is now power.

16. lazer155 macrumors regular

I forgot that there is no need for an eject button and that they just replaced it with the power button. :eek: I'll be getting one of those though. I thought the keyboard changed a bit because apple made the keys travel slightly less. Is that true? That's the main reason why I thought they might need to make a new keyboard cover. I was thinking that the change in key travel would cause the non-retina protectors to be loose. Guess that's not the case though.