Is there any known problems with Java and Safari?

EasyB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
96
0
Safari takes so long to launch java applets and will often crash while a complex applet is running. Where is my problem at?
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
29
USA
EasyB said:
Safari takes so long to launch java applets and will often crash while a complex applet is running. Where is my problem at?
Probably in your computer.
 

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
2,425
0
Montana
Uma888 said:
isnt java supposed to be "Platform independant" ? meaning code sould run fine on all platforms :eek:
Yes, except MS distributed a bastardized version for some time. That was the whole point behind Sun's law suit against MS, which MS settled out of court.
 

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
133
0
USA
Isn't Apple's implementation of Java somewhat behind that of M$ ? For example, Yahoo chat doesn't work reliably at all under Safari or Firefox, or IE for that matter.
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,968
3
AppleAce said:
Isn't Apple's implementation of Java somewhat behind that of M$ ? For example, Yahoo chat doesn't work reliably at all under Safari or Firefox, or IE for that matter.
No, Microsoft no longer provide a separate implementation of the JVM, and it ended at something like Java 1.1 (they still support it, but their website provides links to the Sun website).

Sun's implementation is the reference version, but they provide versions only for Windows, Solaris and Linux.

The Mac OS X latest version (1.4.1) is behind the current Sun version (1.5). It's hard to say if something written for the Microsoft JVM would work with JDK 1.4.x or JDK 1.5, and I don't feel like trying to find out, but I think it's unlikely.
 

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
yea when i would run java on my safari, it would quit a lot....so eventually i just got fed up with it and i got camino....and that has been the best browser i have ever used...bar none...super fast and sweet :)
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
Uma888 said:
isnt java supposed to be "Platform independant" ? meaning code sould run fine on all platforms :eek:
Yes it is. But as a (Java) developer I can say that even if it's supposed to be platform independent, there are always some small differences that can cause problems unless the developer is very careful and/or makes sure to test the product on different platforms.
 

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
133
0
USA
plinden said:
No, Microsoft no longer provide a separate implementation of the JVM, and it ended at something like Java 1.1 (they still support it, but their website provides links to the Sun website).

Sun's implementation is the reference version, but they provide versions only for Windows, Solaris and Linux.

The Mac OS X latest version (1.4.1) is behind the current Sun version (1.5). It's hard to say if something written for the Microsoft JVM would work with JDK 1.4.x or JDK 1.5, and I don't feel like trying to find out, but I think it's unlikely.
That's more or less what I meant. Apple isn't running the latest version of Java, so some applets, like Yahoo chat, function very inconsistently or not at all.
 

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
2,604
1,184
gekko513 said:
Yes it is. But as a (Java) developer I can say that even if it's supposed to be platform independent, there are always some small differences that can cause problems unless the developer is very careful and/or makes sure to test the product on different platforms.
and unfortunately there are lots of java developers who don't take the time & effort to make sure their product runs well on Macs.......it's very common to find java applets that don't work at all on a Mac
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
AppleAce said:
That's more or less what I meant. Apple isn't running the latest version of Java, so some applets, like Yahoo chat, function very inconsistently or not at all.
Yahoo chat doesn't use Java 1.5. If it doesn't work well on the Mac it is because it is badly coded or because there are bugs in Apple's JVM. The former is more likely.
 

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
304
0
Canada
gekko513 said:
Yahoo chat doesn't use Java 1.5. If it doesn't work well on the Mac it is because it is badly coded or because there are bugs in Apple's JVM. The former is more likely.
Yahoo! doesn't like Apple... they won't support Apple at all. Sure they have messenger, but even that is not as good. I also noticed whenever there is something bad in the news about Apple... etc.. 'Hackers likely to target Mac OS' they'll put it on the front of their website.. grr... as for their java... chat... I think it's their problem..
 

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
526
45
NH
Java can be a little flakey sometimes on my machine. Sometimes programs won't run even though I've checked the code and I know everything is correct.

As for Yahoo, I wish the Mac version of Yahoo Messenger was the same as the PC version. They're pretty much the same except the audio chat. I have to use VPC to run Yahoo Messenger to use the audio chat. Really annoying. Is there a 3rd party program out there for OS X that I can use for Yahoo's audio chat?
 

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
304
0
Canada
Pismo said:
As for Yahoo, I wish the Mac version of Yahoo Messenger was the same as the PC version. They're pretty much the same except the audio chat. I have to use VPC to run Yahoo Messenger to use the audio chat. Really annoying. Is there a 3rd party program out there for OS X that I can use for Yahoo's audio chat?
There's also no IM enviroments in the mac version.
 

Similar threads

  • surfbug
2
Replies
2
Views
496
  • cool11
0
Replies
0
Views
343
  • Kees G
1
Replies
1
Views
469
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.