Is there any likelihood the next 15" MBP will have a higher res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcosscriven, Dec 10, 2009.

1. marcosscriven macrumors regular

I've got a late '07 17" MBP, and looking forward to the next line-up of MBPs early next year.

Just wondering if anyone thought they'd up the res (or have an option) like they did with the 17"? As a coder, I'd prefer having smaller text and being able to fit more in.

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No not everyone. There's plenty of people who are perfectly content with the current resolution. In fact, I'd stop buying the MBP if they changed the resolution. I find it just about perfect for me, and any higher would make it unreadable.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Many people have been wishing for a higher-res 15" MBP for years now, but it's never happened. Of course, after what Apple did with the iMac screens, we could be seeing 16:9 screens on the MBP line (1600x900 on the 13 or 15"?).

5. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

Nonsense - long gone are the days where the OS/apps are dependent on resolution. Is the iPhone unusable? And why not just have it as an option, like the 17"? Why do people ALWAYS troll about the simplest little post.

Cripes.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's what happens when you ask a speculative question that nobody knows the answer to. I'd say the iPhone is a pain in the rear to use for things like browsing webpages, but it's just a matter of opinion. As for "why not offering it as an option"- ask Steve Jobs.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Hopefully there is. Cause it would make their expensive laptop purchases less "successful" if they weren't content with it... I am not sure what percentage of them has used a 15" laptop with 1680x1050 to see if it is more tiresome or productive. For one, if the 15" MBP offered a higher resolution I wouldn't mind parting with the extra cash to get as the boost in productivity would outweigh the extra bag-size and weight to carry it around

8. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

But this is what I don't get - why bother chipping in if you're not interested in speculating? Why not just reply constructively to the many other topics...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

chill dude, the other poster mentioned that everyone was wanting this and I corrected him stating that not everyone wants this. If its an option, fine, but if they change over and use only a higher resolution, then I'll not like it.

If the days of dependent resolution are long gone, then you don't need higher res displays and you don't need to ask this do you. :rolleyes:

Just like you want higher res, many people don't want higher res displays. Also opposing opinions does not equate to trolling.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Supposition: Negative.

Apple seems to hold the 17" model for the more serious developers - or so I've been told.

All 15" Windows laptops (and even the 17"s I've seen) use something pallid like 1600x900. Puke.

Even Macworld noted at the 1920x1200 resolution on the 17" model would be too small for some people to read. Ain't no way that would be attempted on a 15" model. :D

I could be wrong, but I think they will keep with 1440x900 or 1600x900, depending on physical size for the 15" model.

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Some are worried about the opposite, at least on the 17" models if they go from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080... :D Developers do appreciate screen "real-estate", and I hate that term right now given the current hoity-toity market nonsense...

12. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

My Dell D830 with 15.4" screen at 1920x1200 resolution is fantastic. Windows still sucks :) but the resolution is great. I also have a 15" MBP and to be honest I find the lower resolution annoying, it just feels cramped after using the 1920x1200 screen.

If you're able to change the text/icon sizing to suit your own style, why wouldn't you want a higher resolution screen?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me rephrase your question. Since you can change the text/icon sizing to suit your needs why are you complaining about the lower resolution.

I like the current resolution, why should I start changing text sizes in my apps and such to try to make it readable. Besides, not all apps behave the same way and I won't have the ability to change it so that I avoid eye strain.

14. psk20 macrumors newbie

I hope they upgrade the res.

I haven't bought a mac before. I'm in the market for a new laptop and would like to try a MBP but there's no way in hell I'd buy a 15" laptop with a 1440x900 resolution. My dell has a 1680x1050 res and it's not straining on the eyes at all.

That said, software developers need to adopt resolution-independent GUIs, for instance those using vector based graphics, sooner. It's sad that people are forced to choose less detailed displays solely for UI reasons.

15. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

You can probably change the text/icon sizing of Powerbook 540 up and down too, it's still a crappy low res screen by today's standards....

More seriously, you make a somewhat valid point in that Snow Leopard doesn't yet have true resolution independence. But tell me, if say you could have even a 2560-by-1440 15" display that showed all your stuff in exactly the same size/proportions as now - only with better detail/clarity - why wouldn't you want it?

I have never understand why people wouldn't want a higher res display. I understand why people want largeish text and icons for readability, but there is no reason at all nowadays for resolution and text/icon/menu size to be linked, and I think this point is very misunderstood.

My primary reason for wanting higher res displays is to see photo and video work in better detail without having to constantly zoom in and out..... E.g. on my Dell I can play back 1920x1080 1080P HD video in full 1:1 resolution, on my MBP there is simply no way to watch it full-res, I will always be watching a scaled-down copy.

16. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

get a ****ing external monitor!

17. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yes, because no-one would ever want to use their MBP to edit video in the field or on the move.... amazing, sigh....

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because it doesn't exist. You're basing my acceptance of a higher resolution display because it will be "better" even if I upsize the text/icons. That's not the case today, if this changes down the road, I'll re-evaluate my needs.

Just because you may not understand my position does not make it any less valid. I prefer, like the current MBP with its resolution. Anything higher would affect how I work, interact and increase my eye strain. Yeah putzing with various settings may mitigate it somewhat but not completely and that's the point. I use macs because they allow me to work the way I want too. It doesn't get in the way, by altering the resolution beyond my viewing ease, that changes the equation.

19. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Thats what happens when you ask stupid/moot questions that have been hashed over many many times.

20. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I am sorry for the generalization.I see your point. Going more wide screen and loosing vertical pixels makes no sense to me. Maybe for the movie junkies it does but I bet they have a TV for that reason.

Get some ****ing manners.

That's what happens. A stupid thread gets filled with equally stupid posts about how this has been discussed before.

21. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

And then someone comments on that comment and there is a cascade. Good job though, you really taught me a lesson:rolleyes:

22. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Nope. Not me. I don't care about saving time or server space. I like pointless discussions. Pointing out how pointless they are itself, is pointless too.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

True

24. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR