Is there ANY limitation on HDD size in 20" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by akdj, Aug 12, 2008.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I run a mobile sound company and am considering investing in a couple of iMacs, 20" base models.

I will upgrade both (I want two of them) to 2g RAM and 1 TB internal hard drives, if there is no limitation. I have searched the forum and have found nothing to the contrary. Is there any issues with this?

I will have my local Mac repair shop do the install and I will order the drives from OWC.

For me, it's a security issue AND a reliability issue. We have over 800 gigs of music and I don't want the external drives OR the Mac Book Pros we have been using to get stolen or damaged. I figure a couple of 1200 dollar 20" iMacs with TB drives would be the perfect solution....in a Pelican Case:)

Thanks

Jeremy

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As long as the drive is a 3.5" desktop drive of the standard size (unlike laptop drives I cannot think of a single non-standard one) that uses a SATA interface it will work in any Intel iMac.

3. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah any will work but you need to find someone who is willing to pop off the glass:rolleyes:

4. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Thanks Guys

Fonzi, exactly what I was thinking. I am pretty computer savvy and have no problems sliding new drives and RAM into my Mac Pro...but the iMac upgrade process looks iffy. I have a certified Mac shop (couple actually) in town that will do the swap. In fact, one said they would do it free if I bought the computer from them:) Works fine as it is the same price as the online shop. I will buy my memory and drive from OWC, as I have had good look with their stuff on my Pro. Seems a small memory upgrade while the case is open makes sense for another $100 or so.

Thanks again fellas, appreciate the info.

Jeremy

5. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Well you can upgrade them memory your self it we are talking about an aluminum iMac. There is one screw on the bottom that pops out the Ram

6. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Thanks for the tip, Fonzi. Just noticed that. The only example I had seen of replacing the RAM was a guy that did the hard drive replacement and, since the case was open, he also put more RAM in.

After just looking at the RAM replacement, yes, I will do it myself.

Hopefully, that HDD replacement will get easier down the road:) The MacPro is unbelievably user friendly, for most all peripheral upgrading.

Take care and again, thanks for the tip!

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I would buy the pro if u want to keep it for a wile and update it.

8. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Sorry man

Nothing for sale:) I love each for different jobs. The MacBook for surfing on the couch while watching the olympics, the Pro for production and gaming, the Macbook Pro for the field, the editing, and the on site production. There is a niche for ALL of Apple's products....except the black Macbook:), kidding, it may work for some!

Jeremy