is there any logic/mnemonic to the shortcut key symbols?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I have a heck of a time remember what the different key symbols mean.. I don't know why Apple thinks it's so simple to use them. I am gradually getting to know them.. command is obvious bc it's on my keyboard. option and control make no sense to me. Shift makes sense, except that ^ option looks like it could be shift as well.

Is there some sort of meaning to these weird symbols (esp option.. what's that all about)? or any trick to remember them. I think I've basically got them down, but i still get unsure sometimes when I'm given an odd keyboard shortcut.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

After using macs for 6 years or so, I still can't remember those silly symbols. Why they can't just put <shift> or <opt> is beyond me.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I know exactly what you mean. After nearly three years I still have to pause and think when confronted with these symbols sometimes. Why aren't the symbols printed on the keys themselves?

Option is the tough one for me... I remember it by seeing the kind-of diagonal line, with a "minus sign" on one side and blank on the other side as meaning you have the option of one or the other.

4. HEB, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

HEB macrumors member

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9030/what-do-the-mac-shortcut-symbols-mean/

apparently a good way to remember the opt key icon ⌥ is that the icon has two parts and the key on your keyboard lists two words (alt and option)

⌘ ( for old people)
    ⌥ opt
    ⌃ ctl
    ⇧ shift
    ⇪ cap lock
    ⌅ enter
    ↩ return
    ⇞ pg up
    ⇟ pg down
    ↖ home
    ↘ end
    ⎋ esc
    ⌫ del
    ⌦ fwd del
    ⏏ eject
    ⌧ clear
    ⎇ alt

5. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

Glad I'm not the only one who finds this difficult to internalize ! (that plus the screenshot shortcuts are the two most violently unintuitive parts of a pretty intuitive system)

pulling a card out = option and raising the roof is control or something.

I think i might finally have it figured out just from having to think about it in making this thread :p

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Who you callin' old? Err.. I did cut my teeth on an Apple IIe...