Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
You are going to need to have the remote just above the very far bottom right of the black border. The remote should be on an angle with the bottom left being the IR end and the top right being the other end. The buttons should be facing you. The top right of the remote should be half an inch past the screen to the right. Like I said it's not very secure and the screen magnets repel if you put it too far to the left in front of the screen.

I'm on a 20 inch. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
The Megatron

I have my imac remote, along with my TV, DVD, Stereo & Garage Door remotes, and all my game controllers duct taped to a section of plastic drainpipe which I wear over my forearm as a gauntlet. I call it
...THE MEGATRON!!

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
The magnetic permeability of aluminium is 1. The same as air (and most plastics). I think Apple decided that the remote just didn't look right sitting on the iMac.

Lol. That is more than likely.

OP, why not just set the remote next to your keyboard, or rest it on the bottom part of the iMac arm when you aren't using it? I can't see placing it so closed to the screen (that being the only magnet on the new models) as being a good alternative to the old magnet location.

lisaann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
it's a feature!

I had heard a rumor that they did away with the magnet in anticipation of a new feature on the next upcoming model which will make use of new cathode ray breakthrough technology.

Something about possibly degaussing the screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.