Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nahegaero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
I've been Windows user for years and mostly used Windows Firewall that does not block outgoing connections. At one point I had Kaspersky Firewall and it was a bit troublesome to allow or deny all those outgoing connections.

Mac firewall doesn't even allow to see outgoing ones and Little Snitch is quite expensive.

My question is, does non-tech-savy user like me even need to check outgoing connections? I likely have no idea what I would be seeing anyways.

And out of curiosity: are there any other tools to see/block outgoing connections than Little Snitch?

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I am of the opinion that Little Snitch is not for the average user. It requires quite a bit of research to distinguish connections and can be very overwhelming. I mainly use it to satisfy my curiosity and block connections in third-party apps that I do not like, such as Google Analytics. I would not even consider it a firewall, just an analytical tool and tracker blocker. For those purposes you will find much cheaper solutions elsewhere, such as Private Eye, Radio Silence and Adguard.

I personally do not even enable the Mac application firewall. This kind of protection is better provided by the network’s router.

Reactions: Nahegaero

Nahegaero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
I am of the opinion that Little Snitch is not for the average user. It requires quite a bit of research to distinguish connections and can be very overwhelming. I mainly use it to satisfy my curiosity and block connections in third-party apps that I do not like, such as Google Analytics. I would not even consider it a firewall, just an analytical tool and tracker blocker. For those purposes you will find much cheaper solutions elsewhere, such as Private Eye, Radio Silence and Adguard.

I personally do not even enable the Mac application firewall. This kind of protection is better provided by the network’s router.

Router itself doesn't control outgoing connections?
Hm, so overall for amateur user like me, there isn't much meaning in trying to even check what outgoing connections I have?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Some routers have an interface for blocking outgoing connections, but it is a difficult undertaking. I think the average user will not be served by that level of complexity whatever the security benefits.

Apple disables the firewall for the same reason: you are in control of the applications you install and most sharing services that could be used to attack your system from the network are disabled by default. If you know what you are installing, then there is usually little need for blocking outgoing connections in the first place, unless you have other motives, such as privacy from specific connections.

If you just want to see what your applications are doing, then Private Eye should be a good starting point, it is free.

Nahegaero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
Some routers have an interface for blocking outgoing connections, but it is a difficult undertaking. I think the average user will not be served by that level of complexity whatever the security benefits.

Apple disables the firewall for the same reason: you are in control of the applications you install and most sharing services that could be used to attack your system from the network are disabled by default. If you know what you are installing, then there is usually little need for blocking outgoing connections in the first place, unless you have other motives, such as privacy from specific connections.

If you just want to see what your applications are doing, then Private Eye should be a good starting point, it is free.

Thank you. I am very specific in installing new apps and Apple likely will not have had something suspicious added to Mac in the first place?
Guess I won't be thinking about outgoing connections then.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There are many connections in the system and Apple’s programs. In most cases, you will simply not know what to do and researching this takes time. I think you have to have a little faith in Apple, otherwise you would be using Linux. :p

Apple does have a different public agenda when it comes to user privacy, than Microsoft or Google.

Nahegaero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
There are many connections in the system and Apple’s programs. In most cases, you will simply not know what to do and researching this takes time. I think you have to have a little faith in Apple, otherwise you would be using Linux. :p

Apple does have a different public agenda when it comes to user privacy, than Microsoft or Google.

Apple is more secure with our data than Microsoft and Google, yes? Windows 10 was pretty much the reason I moved onto Mac. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.