Is there any office suites that I can get my hands on for my G3 iMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LOLZpersonok, Mar 6, 2013.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I was looking all over the place on the Internet for any form of office suite. I eventually settled for the one release of OpenOffice that would run on Mac OS X 10.2.8 but it caused problems and wouldn't run. Other than that, I haven't found any.

I don't have any money. Do ANY office suites exist that will run on my iMac G3 and Mac OS X 10.2.8, other than MS Office 2004 and AppleWorks?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

3. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Office X

will be by FAR the best performer on Jaguar. And, with Microsofts OpenXML converter (or many online options) you will still be able to read/open/save .docx, pptx etc files.

If you don't need a Microsoft compatible suite try Appleworks 6. It is really quite good, and you might be able to Macintosh Garden that puppy.

Office 2001 or 98 in Classic would also work too....though you'd have to use online converters to convert to docx etc...

4. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I don't have any money to buy a copy on eBay, I'm really that broke. I just need to make this iMac more useful because all it's doing is sitting.

5. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I would much rather go for a Microsoft suite but I can't find any. I don't currently have any money (I'm still in High School and don't have a job) so I can't simply buy Office 2004. I also don't know how to install Classic support on my iMac even though I do have a Mac OS 9 disc. I was able to find AppleWorks 6 on the Macintosh Garden site so I'm gonna give that a try. Does AppleWorks open and save in at least a .doc format?

6. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Given your financial situation and your being stuck with a G3, research Google Docs for OS 9 and Jaguar.

I haven't used it in a couple of years, but I believe it saves docs in .doc format, and it's free with a free Google account.

7. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I would do that, but it seems that AppleWorks 6 works just fine and does save in the MS Word format, but thanks for the tip anyways, I'll probably use it for future consideration.

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Here is what I would do. Boot the iMac into Mac OS 9 and use Microsoft Office 2001. Hands down the best performing version of Office I've ever seen. It also uses very little RAM. If you need to keep running OS X, then Microsoft Office v.X was the first native OS X version out there and will probably run better than 2004 will. And if you must use OS X, PLEASE upgrade to 10.4 or even 10.3. Jaguar was so slow and full of bugs, I can assure you that 10.3 will be faster, and 10.4 won't be any slower than what you're using.

9. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I don't have OS 9. When I bought it I used OS 9 for about an hour then wiped the hard drive. I do have a Mac OS 9 disk though. I don't know how to install Classic support.

I only have Mac OS X disks for 10.2. I do not have disks for 10.3 or 10.4.

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Libre Office has a PowerPC version that I use on my G5. I've never tried it on my G3, but it's where I would start. (And it is free).

11. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Hey man,

Do you need Tiger?

I only have Mac OS X disks for 10.2. I do not have disks for 10.3 or 10.4.[/QUOTE]

12. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think it'd be fine, besides, I don't have any money anyways.

13. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Can try with....

OpenOffice and even Office:X for Mac (first version running in OS X 10.1) and even Office 2004, as another poster had said.

14. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

You would download it from my server.. No charge as I can sense financial constraints with you.

Nah, I think it'd be fine, besides, I don't have any money anyways.[/QUOTE]