Is there any official WCIII no CD patch?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mwxiao, May 7, 2008.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

I want to get a copy of WarCraft III battle net. I am just wondering if there is any official no CD patch for WCIII so that I don't have to ruin my optical drive.

I know starcraft has no CD patch from Blizzard.

If there is no such thing, I may get a digital copy from Blizzard.com, but it's $10 more...

Thanks!

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

With 1.21b or whatever the latest patch released is now, it comes with a no cd patch. You don't need your cd to run the game.

Also, you do not ruin your optical drive by having a cd in it to play a game. It is not constantly spinning. All it does it check to see if you have a valid cd and does some boot initializations thing which I can't explain. After that, the game runs off of your hard drive. To test this, you can load the game with the CD and then eject the cd and the game will run just like normal. The only reason why a cd patch is convenient is so you can put other cds in there while playing the game, and don't have to keep switching.

3. Ovistavin macrumors member

Actually there is a CD patch for Starcraft and Brood War. I had to copy a file off each CD (about 500 MB each) to my hard drive. I'd post a link, but I am having trouble with Blizzard.com and Battle.net right now.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I think he meant "No-CD Patch" and not "no cd patch" (as it in doesn't exist).

5. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

log onto Battle.net and you will automatically get the no CD update.

6. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Deleted because I don't read everything, doh!

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just use mine. http://rapidshare.com/files/113329119/Warcraft_III_-_Frozen_Throne_No_CD.zip.html